Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The grey areas of Irish history - a new approach?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Realistic Social Networks in the Táin
    Interesting report on a study here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking6.html

Apparently the relationships between the greater than 400 characters in the Táin is realistic once you factor out six characters (such as Medb). An interesting result is that Beowulf is very realistic, followed by the Ilyiad. The Táin is not realistic until you remove six superhero characters (which have an effect on the social network similar to superheroes from Marvel).

However Shakespeare's Richard III is less socially realistic than all of them, only slightly better than Lord of the Rings.

Original paper here:
    http://iopscience.iop.org/0295-5075/99/2/28002
    I have unashamedly poached this from the History forum (apologies Enkidu).

Might it be possible to look at the tantalising, but dubious histories of the various Annals in the same way, for example?
    I'll nail my colours to the mast here and say that I have always felt that there is more truth in the Annals than meets the skeptical eye. I believe that the outrageous and fanciful claims of the authors are only intended to make an otherwise dull story, interesting.
    "An admixture of truth doth ever add pleasure".

Could mathematics offer a way of separating the wheat from the chaff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I actually read that article myself a couple of days ago and I completely agree with you Slowburner, I firmly believe that the seed of these stories is truth. No better example then the Iliad which has a corresponding archaeological site which is very likely Troy. Most importantly of all, its discoverer Schliemann, relied heavily on the Iliad itself for help in locating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I argued there was more truth to the Táin than was thought, based on what Andrew Jackson (iirc) and others had written but my lecturer was not at all convinced.

Advertisement