Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This country is a joke for concurrent sentencing

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Can someone explain to me the logic behind concurrent sentencing in this country?

In the States and elsewhere if you commit multiple serious crimes you will get punished for each and every single one of them. Here in Ireland nearly all the sentences are made concurrent when someone is up on multiple charges. For example, there have been lots of cases where some scumbag paedophile abused a kid for years on end and they get a joke of a punishment due to concurrent sentencing.

It seems to me that if you are a scumbag in Ireland and you commit a serious crime it is in your interests to go and commit as many more as you want as all the sentences will be concurrent. Absolutely ridiculous stuff, typical Ireland.

Here is a good example of the ridiculous sentencing in this country...189 charges of indecent assault, all made to run concurrently...sure what incentive is there for the sickos to stop when all the sentences are concurrent anyway. The justice system in this country is a disgrace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0126/currye.html
    Edwin Curry, from Kilkenny city, had been charged with 189 counts of indecent assault.
    Curry repeatedly assaulted nine young girls between the ages of five and fifteen in the years 1964 to 1985.

Judge Olive Buttimer said she took account of what had been said in his account but said sexual abuse of children over a 20-year period was a most serious offence.
    She sentenced Curry to two years in jail on each count up to a certain period and four years on each count for a following period.
    The sentences are to run concurrently and Curry is to be put on the sex offenders list for life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

How about I explain how the search function works?

For the love of God please don't use the US as an example of a criminal justice system that works.

This is a UK Link but its a nice simple explanation:
    http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/public_guide_totality_for_web.pdf

While the above situation can't be equated to driving while banned, we have no idea of the context for that article. Judge's aren't stupid people and will have been presented with far more information that we can get from RTE's typically bite sized reporting. If the DPP feel the sentence is too light they can appeal it, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Wow OP, never had that question asked before here, least not in the last month!

Advertisement