Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calibrate laptop battery

Options
  • 27-07-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I bought a charger off ebay for my HP pavilion dv7 as my old one was broken. The charger has all the same spec as the old one, but since i got it the battery only lasts an hour when plugged in. I did a scan on the battery and got this (see image) It says it needs to be calibrated. I let the laptop die on its own and charged it to 100% and did another scan but it made no differance.
    Can anyone help me calibrate and fix it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

shaneb92 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me calibrate and fix it?

Calibrating the battery in HP and Compaq Notebook PCs with Windows Vista (and Windows 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Torqay wrote: »

Tried that but it still says it needs to be calibrated :(

Tried that but it still says it needs to be calibrated :(

Did you do it in safe mode?

Did you do it in safe mode?

Im using windows 7 does that make a differance?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just uninstall the HP Battery monitoring software (if possible) if it's annoying you, sounds to me like the software is acting the maggot

Nick

• Advertisement

Im using windows 7 does that make a differance?

No, the HP article applies to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You can use the 2nd method but it has to be done in Safe Mode:
    Calibrate the battery while the computer is not in use

A calibration cycle requires that the battery be completely charged and then completely discharged. The calibration might take one to five hours, depending on the age of the battery and the computer's configuration.
    Follow the steps below to calibrate the battery power meter readings.
    [IMG]http://h10025.<a class=outboundlink data-outboundlink=http://www.boards.ie/out?f=529&amp;url=aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dzEuaHAuY29tJTJGZXdmcmYtSkFWQSUyRkltYWdlJTJGY29tbW9uJTJGbm90ZS5wbmc=&amp;h=51494 href=http://www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Image/common/note.png target=_blank >www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Image/common/note.png</a>[/IMG]
    NOTE: Do not use the computer during the calibration cycle.

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Connect the power cord and charge the computer until the battery charge light is green, indicating that the battery is completely charged.
      On some models the battery light glows white, and on other models the light turns off when fully charged.
    3. Press the power button to start the computer.
    4. Press F8 repeatedly when the HP logo appears.
    5. The Windows Advanced Boot Options menu displays, use the Up and Down arrow keys to select Safe Mode and then press Enter .
    6. The Windows Advanced Startup Menu displays, click Startup in Safe Mode .
    7. Disconnect the power cord from the computer.
    8. Allow the battery to discharge completely until the computer shuts down.

The battery is now calibrated, and the battery level reading on the power meter should be accurate when the computer starts again.

Short discharges and recharges do not fully synchronize the battery's fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. This can result in the amount of power available in one cycle being less than expected or the battery meter being inaccurate.

Under normal usage, batteries should be calibrated a minimum of once every 3 months.

yoyo wrote: »
    Just uninstall the HP Battery monitoring software (if possible) if it's annoying you, sounds to me like the software is acting the maggot

Nick

It dosent show up thats what I get when I scan it. The battery meter is acting up a bit..

No, the HP article applies to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You can use the 2nd method but it has to be done in Safe Mode:

Short discharges and recharges do not fully synchronize the battery's fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. This can result in the amount of power available in one cycle being less than expected or the battery meter being inaccurate.

Under normal usage, batteries should be calibrated a minimum of once every 3 months.

Ok ill try that now

Tried it but its still the same :(

Tried it but its still the same :(

Are you using a genuine HP power supply or a generic one with same/similar specs? It wouldn't be the first time that manufacturers "punish" their customers for using 3rd party replacements.

• Advertisement

Are you using a genuine HP power supply or a generic one with same/similar specs? It wouldn't be the first time that manufacturers "punish" their customers for using 3rd party replacements.

Its a replacement one I got off ebay but it has all the spec as the HP one I had

Ask around and see if you can get your hands on an original HP charger, maybe some local computer shop can help you out.

As I said, some manufacturers love playing "dirty tricks". I recently dealt with a DELL that was throwing adapter warnings at me and throttled the CPU speed, despite using an original DELL PSU, different model but the same specs. And HP have pulled some nasty BIOS stunts in the past as well.

Ask around and see if you can get your hands on an original HP charger, maybe some local computer shop can help you out.

As I said, some manufacturers love playing "dirty tricks". I recently dealt with a DELL that was throwing adapter warnings at me and throttled the CPU speed, despite using an original DELL PSU, different model but the same specs. And HP have pulled some nasty BIOS stunts in the past as well.

Il have a look in the shops during the week. Thanks for the help

Advertisement