Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming suspects and victims

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I was listening to Newstalk at lunchtime and there was a small piece on the trial of the murder of Nicola Furlong. The reporter said he couldn't name the suspect, although gave details such as age, occupation and mentioned if you look on the net (or something to that effect) you could find out who it is. I know it has only been decided that he will be tried as an adult, but I found one article from 4th July that named him, so how come he could not be named on the radio? Also, the friend of the Nicola who was also allegedly a victim of sexual assualt has been named which is rare, unless a person waives their right to anonymity, and I thought they usually specify that a person has waived anonymity in any reports on it. Is it something to do with the fact that the crime happened in a different jurisdiction, or just that the papers put two and two together of who she was travelling with? Is this legal, or is anonymity just a matter of discretion rather than the law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Japanese law applies to the case.

However, the Japanese courts enforcing their rules here would be difficult. However, if a media organisation wants to maintain access to the court, adhering tot he rules would be important.

Advertisement