Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Registration Fee

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'll be starting the masters in Public Relations in DIT this September and just had a question about the registration fee. The postgraduate course itself costs roughly €6,000. I see on the fees page that the entire course fee will be €8,150, with the add on of the €2,250 registration fee.

I was told by someone else that I will not have to pay the registration fee as a result of doing a postgrad course while also hopefully being entitled to a partial fee grant associated with postgrad courses. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me please?

I'm really stretched with the course fees and thought that registration fees do not apply for postgrads with a fee grant. Any info would be brilliant:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

InkNut wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'll be starting the masters in Public Relations in DIT this September and just had a question about the registration fee. The postgraduate course itself costs roughly €6,000. I see on the fees page that the entire course fee will be €8,150, with the add on of the €2,250 registration fee.

I was told by someone else that I will not have to pay the registration fee as a result of doing a postgrad course while also hopefully being entitled to a partial fee grant associated with postgrad courses. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me please?

I'm really stretched with the course fees and thought that registration fees do not apply for postgrads with a fee grant. Any info would be brilliant:)

Thanks

Basically colleges explain their fee structure differently - UCD just tell the fee is 8000 straight out whereas DIT break it down into 2 parts.

The fee is 8250. You do have to pay both parts of the fee. You can get a fee grant of 2000 or if your income is low enough 6270.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭InkNut

Thanks for the reply. It's just that I heard someone say before that there was no registration fees for postgrad courses, maybe I misheard.

Do you know what income a student/students family must be on to get the 6000+ full fee grant?

Cheers

InkNut wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It's just that I heard someone say before that there was no registration fees for postgrad courses, maybe I misheard.

Do you know what income a student/students family must be on to get the 6000+ full fee grant?

Cheers

There isn't technically speaking a registration fee. DIT explain it differently which is a bit daft. Anyway you have to pay the fee.

To be eligible for grant of 2000 your income should be less than 31500. To be eligible for the 6000 your income should be less than 22000 plus you need to be on a social welfare payment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭InkNut

Thanks for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 galwaygirrl

There isn't technically speaking a registration fee. DIT explain it differently which is a bit daft. Anyway you have to pay the fee.

To be eligible for grant of 2000 your income should be less than 31500. To be eligible for the 6000 your income should be less than 22000 plus you need to be on a social welfare payment.

I only earned about 7,000 in 2011 as I was on social welfare and then was in a coma for 4 months in hospital while my claim changed over to diability benefit. I get 188 per week now but SUSI told me today I only qualified for a fee contribution, no mention of tuition fees. Have they made a mistake?

• Advertisement

I only earned about 7,000 in 2011 as I was on social welfare and then was in a coma for 4 months in hospital while my claim changed over to diability benefit. I get 188 per week now but SUSI told me today I only qualified for a fee contribution, no mention of tuition fees. Have they made a mistake?

I don't really know.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement