Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of drowning - what helps, hypnosis?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I have a fear of me, my husband or my children drowning which I have tried to combat many times but it's still there every time I am near a swimming pool / lake / beach.

Its not irrational - my brother drowned as a child so I have had this real fear my entire life.

I really want to try and overcome this, because I want my children to learn how to swim. I also want to be able to bring them swimming, swim in pools and on beaches with them on holidays and be able to save them if anything happens.

I'm even nervous about bringing them to swimming lessons. But i'm also nervous about them not learning how to swim, as much as I am nervous about them being in the swimming pool.

You can guess (if you can understand these feelings) how much of this is in my head, yet how hard it is for me to take it out of my head and stop thinking about it.

If any of you, preferably who work in this area or have been in the same situation as me, have any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them.

Have any of you heard of hypnosis helping somebody overcome a fear like this, but then could it work if the fear is based in reality and not something "obscure" like open spaces, etc.

Advertisement