Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis help with fear of water?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I have a fear of drowning which I have tried to combat many times but it's still there every time I am near a swimming pool / lake / beach.

Its not irrational - my brother drowned as a child so I have had this real fear my entire life.

I really want to try and overcome this, because I want my children to learn how to swim. I also want to be able to bring them swimming, swim in pools and on beaches with them on holidays and be able to save them if anything happens.

I'm even nervous about bringing them to swimming lessons. But i'm also nervous about them not learning how to swim, as much as I am nervous about them being in the swimming pool.

You can guess (if you can understand these feelings) how much of this is in my head, yet how hard it is for me to take it out of my head and stop thinking about it.

If any of you, preferably who work in this area or have been in the same situation as me, have any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them.

Have any of you heard of hypnosis helping somebody overcome a fear like this, but then could it work if the fear is based in reality and not something "obscure" like open spaces, etc.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I witnessed a death in the sea as a child and it left me with a fear not so much of water, but what was in the water. It would not be as severe as yours, but I do understand how things that happen as a child affect you.

The first thing is not to pass it on to your children, which Im sure you are already aware of. You need to fake nonchalance and not let them see your fear. :)

What size bodies of water can you tolerate? Could you go in a kids pool in a leisure centre, or the shallow end of a pool? Is there any chance you would contemplate one on one lessons in a pool? Could you paddle on a beach? The trick I think is to take it in small steps. Do what you are able for, and become comfortable there. Whether that is standing fully clothed on a pool deck just watching, or sitting on the edge with your feet in the water, or standing in the water. You will overcome this if you take it in slow stages. And distraction is a great help. Playing games with your kids in or near water will get you thinking of that instead of focusing on your fear.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I've had swimming lessons before I got pregnant about 5 years ago and I was doing great I could swim a bit and could even take my feet off the floor / head under water.

But I stopped because I couldn't go when I was pregnant (no physical reason or fear, I just couldn't afford it).

I was actually going to go to the NAC this week to enquire about one on one swimming lessons again but since the boy drowned there last week it has brought my fears back again and I wouldn't feel comfortable there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well then youre not doing so badly. I'm sure someone will recommend an alternate pool you can use (Im not familiar with your area).

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi December2012

I note from the responses that nobody suggested hypnosis. Did you try it? I think it is something which would help me too, but would like to hear people's experience of hypnosis with regards to the fear of water.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Hi December, two things (1) Although it may not feel like all mammals have an affinity with water and our body actually physically changes underwater to help us stay there longer. World record for holding breath in water is 11.35 minutes.
    http://theaquaticape.org/2013/03/31/conference-on-human-evolution-in-london/
    This isn't new but we are finding more and more confirmations of it. As a freediver I need to relax more to stay down longer or go deeper depending on what I want to do. Also put my students in unusual positions swimming upside down etc so they are at home in any situation and have some fun in the water, this builds confidence.

(2) As part of this I went on a Watsu course, its possibly the most relaxing thing i have ever done in my life. I would suggest you arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can and see if there is a watsu person in Dublin. Do a few sessions to associate water with relaxation and try some autogenic training ( so when relaxed have a trigger like the tongue at the back of your front teeth everytime you are relaxed, the body then associates this unusual movement with relaxation) next time you feel stressed take a deep breath and place the tongue there the body at least will know what to expect.
    It won't be instant but should help after a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement