Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difference between FETAC and Mature applicants?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can someone help me to understand better the difference btw FETAC and Mature applicants? I guess most mature applicants have some professional backgrounds, including potentially taking FETAC courses? Or I am wrong?

Another thing is, mature students compete for quota in CAO application in round A, while fetac students compete for quota in round 0? why is it so?

Finally, mature/FETAC students can compete quota before the main offer round in CAO, in case, say mature/FETAC students fail to get a place, is it possible still to compete with school-leavers in round 1 or 2?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

colruyt wrote: »
    Can someone help me to understand better the difference btw FETAC and Mature applicants? I guess most mature applicants have some professional backgrounds, including potentially taking FETAC courses? Or I am wrong?

Yes many Mature students would have prior educational qualifications that can include FETAC courses but for a lot of courses prior educational qualifications for Mature students aren't a prerequisite although having them does help.

Another thing is, mature students compete for quota in CAO application in round A, while fetac students compete for quota in round 0? why is it so?

I'm open to correction on this but I thinks its because FETAC results for the current year aren't available until then.

Finally, mature/FETAC students can compete quota before the main offer round in CAO, in case, say mature/FETAC students fail to get a place, is it possible still to compete with school-leavers in round 1 or 2?

If you have the relevant Leaving Cert points and the subjects required, some colleges will include you in open competition but others won't as far as I know. You can check with the admissions dept of the relevant colleges to see what their policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 colruyt

Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I checked the progression report of FETAC, so if I understand correctly, then for the Higher Education Links Scheme, students don't need to have leaving cer results, they compete in round 0. While the others applying for level 6/7/8 course (through pilot scheme) are in the open competition in the main round.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly but applicants presenting solely on the basis of FETAC qualifications are only going to be in competition for the reserved quota of FETAC places.

Advertisement