Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish mma league whats it like?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi im mark im 24 and thinken of competing in the irish mma league.i have 6 moths traning.so if any 1 can help with these question id really appreciate it big time.Are u matched up fairly in skill terms.Can i have example of bad experince if any? how did u get on in your fights what was your experince goin in and anything else u can throw in.thank u

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Hi Mark, you'll be in the "rookie" division, which means everyone there will be in their fist year of competing in the League and have limited experience in any other combat sports - you won't have someone with ten of years of judo and six months of MMA training for example. Who you're drawn against for your two matches in any event is random - it could be someone good, someone not so good, or someone right at your level.

I haven't seen or heard of any huge mismatches in the League since the Rookie division was brought in. My own experience of the League was great - won some, lost some, drew some. Treat it as what it is - a fun, safe competition that can give you a signpost of things to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Clive has summed it up extremely well there.

I'm training in MMA about 8 months now, and have no previous combat experience. I jumped in at the deep end and did my first round (in Loughlinstown) back in March after just 3 months training, and I've since competed in Cork too.
    It's been a great experience. For me anyways, I've never had such a mixture of fear and excitement as before my first fight. The best part is that after the fights, there's been no bad blood so far, you'll usually see lads who've just spent 5 minutes kicking the daylights out of each other having the craic after.

I'd definitely recommend it. It's run extremely safely, you don't get struck to the head, you wear shinpads... great experience and a credit to the people who run it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 yellowman1990

have u any vids your fight.i heard i get end up fighting a guy who has like 4 mma league matches already.an pros are put in rookie to make numbers.do u get physical there.im 187 pounds ussually 5.10 were wud i wana compete.and thanks 4 help

cool you any vids your fights.i heard though u could end up fighting someone who has like 4 mma league fights.how u feel after your fight body wise

have u any vids your fight.i heard i get end up fighting a guy who has like 4 mma league matches already.an pros are put in rookie to make numbers.do u get physical there.im 187 pounds ussually 5.10 were wud i wana compete.and thanks 4 help
    cool you any vids your fights.i heard though u could end up fighting someone who has like 4 mma league fights.how u feel after your fight body wise

Just search for 'MMA League / Dublin/Cork/Belfast / 2011/2012' and so on on Youtube. You'll find plenty of fights from it.
    At this point of the League, yes some lads (including myself) would have 4 fights, but that's still just 4 League fights. Not a big deal. You can either hop in now and get some experience for next year, or wait until next year and start with everyone else. I'd recommend just getting in there.

As for your question "do you get physical", well the sport it physical :) But there seem to be very very few injuries bar the usual bruise or bang.
    For weight, you could probably go for middleweight or welterweight, but I'd say you're best asking your coach. They'll know you better than we do.

Honestly, if I were you I'd go to http://www.mmaleague.com/RegisterFighter.aspx right now and enter. Just do it. You'll find a tonne of reasons not to fight (fear, inexperience, worry of injury, not enough time, etc) and very few reasons to compete :D But just enter your details, pop it off and then train your nuts off and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

my coach cant make it its really personal issue but few guys from club said theyd come with me.so ill do one in october as i recently got surgery born with extra bone in back.but ill go watch one in august.how often were u traing a week mma class wise wen u entered. i can do 3 hours a week is that good?

my coach cant make it its really personal issue but few guys from club said theyd come with me.so ill do one in october as i recently got surgery born with extra bone in back.but ill go watch one in august.how often were u traing a week mma class wise wen u entered. i can do 3 hours a week is that good?

How long is a piece of string? Up to the first round I was training on the mats 9 hours a week on top of weight training for about 3 hours a week and cardio work for about an hour.

For the last round (and currently) I'm probably training 5.5 hours on the mats.

Completely up to you.

lol, how long is piece string lol.do u mean like class or actual grapling?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Vista255

i been doing bjj and mma for roughly 2 and a half nearly 3 years and i competed after only 4-5 months of No-Gi Jiu Jitsu and did very little stand up for it, was a lil bit confident on my ground game than the stand up, got to 4-0 to eventually win it, it was the teen division but 75kgs, these were big teens ha.. great for experience though

any videos ur fights? would u recommened it i just keep hearing stuff like the match ups are un fair

• Advertisement

how often were u taining up 2 it do u do a physical there?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Your coach should be able to answer a lot of your questions, even if he can't make it on the day OP?

im in hospital now so i cant chat him 4 bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Are u matched up fairly in skill terms.Can i have example of bad experince if any?
    i heard i get end up fighting a guy who has like 4 mma league matches already.an pros are put in rookie to make numbers.do u get physical there.
    i heard though u could end up fighting someone who has like 4 mma league fights.
    i just keep hearing stuff like the match ups are un fair

You've asked the same question over and over and it has been answered.
    Who told you about mismatches??
    I've never been to a league event myself but from what I've read in here, people generally have nothing but good things to say about it and it seems to be run very well and fairly.

Dean09 wrote: »
    You've asked the same question over and over and it has been answered.
    Who told you about mismatches??
    I've never been to a league event myself but from what I've read in here, people generally have nothing but good things to say about it and it seems to be run very well and fairly.[/Q sorry i didnt mean any badness just freind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Not at all. I wasn't gettin at you, I was just wondering where you heard about mismatches as you kept asking about it so I thought somebody must've told you that.
    From what I hear though it's very well run.

just freind i think he was **** all got destroyed an may be bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Haven’t been at the League in a few years now but would definitely recommend it from past experiences, it’s a great, relatively safe way to introduce yourself to a competitive atmosphere if you have no prior experience of competition and are looking to fight.

If you’re worried about competing because of your surgery, have a chat to your doctor-obviously, it’s better to get medical clearance if you have concerns. Other than that, just decide to fight and do it. Don’t worry about potential opponents or getting hurt, just sign up, go and compete. You'll be glad you did once you get your first fight out of the way, after that you'll wonder what you were worried about in the first place.

Have a chat to your coach about your training but I'd say 6-10 hours a week would be what most guys in the rookie division would be putting in.

Ill be better by october i had acne as baby very very rare an have few scars i just hope if theres physical they dont embarees me or turn me away.i will compete ill probably lose but its experince.as u said i can train mma 6 hours a week.i hope thats enough thank u man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I'd recommend anyone training in any martial art to jump in and have a lash coz even though there's no head shots it brings home the truth about MMA in about 20 seconds flat when you get dumped on your ass and a big adrenaline dump later you can't move you arms : )
    I went down to Galway in 2007 on me own and entered as an independent with no club or whatever, literally just for the craic to see how I'd do... answer: not too well ; ) Thank you Damien Busher for Triangling my ass inside of 2 mins... did a bit better in me second fight - got a draw out of it... and by draw I mean I weathered a G'n'P storm from one Emmet Nolan that left me a bit sore for a few days but it was deffo worth it... MMA league rocks !! Thank you Mark (can't remember his 2nd name) for startin it!

If I'd only got me technique right in that failed Kimura attempt I'd be king of the world : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement