Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I not continue my degree?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm double majoring in French and Spanish but I failed my 1st year 2nd semester core module exam in French. I've already appealed it but might have to resit it. If the resit isn't until December, doesn't that mean I can't do any French second year level?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Seems you can substitute your core module with the approval of the program office, so give them a ring and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Have you only failed one subject? Once you have passed 50 credits for the year you can continue on into second year as normal & you'll just resit the exam you failed at Christmas with your other exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just as a side point, I wouldn't drop a major over one failed exam....unless you have deicded you can't do it, then I'd say contact the programme office and ask to switch to a single major or to change one of your joint majors, but you'll still encounter the same problem of being required to pass core modules from stage one in your new major, or possibly having additional core modules to complete if you take on a single major in Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

It depends on whether the module is a pre-requisite for anything in the following year, such as if the next module builds on the content from it. If this is the case you won't be able to do the next module but could complete the other modules from the year. This could get messy with outstanding modules in following years though.

If you get in touch with the programme office they'll help you. You may be able to get dispensation to carry on despite the pre-requisite, just resitting the exam at christmas.

Advertisement