Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footage of 2006 orca attack released

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wow he did extremely well to remain so calm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

"In response to the case at the time, SeaWorld asserted it was unaware the whales could be deadly"

How stupid can you be?

Even if they didn´t know at the time that orcas could attack people (which I seriously doubt), anything that size should ALWAYS be considered potentially deadly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    "In response to the case at the time, SeaWorld asserted it was unaware the whales could be deadly"

How stupid can you be?

Even if they didn´t know at the time that orcas could attack people (which I seriously doubt), anything that size should ALWAYS be considered potentially deadly.

Yeah that's madness. The whale wasn't even trying to kill him as far as I can see yet it was still an extremely dangerous situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah that's madness. The whale wasn't even trying to kill him as far as I can see yet it was still an extremely dangerous situation.

I agree; if the whale had wanted to kill him, the guy wouldn´t be alive today. Look at what happened to Dawn Brancheau; Sea World told everyone she drowned, but the autopsy report revealed that she was brutally rammed and bitten so that her neck and sternum were crushed, and her arm completely torn off.
    If a killer whale wants to kill you it will.Those animals don´t belong in tanks. :(

I agree; if the whale had wanted to kill him, the guy wouldn´t be alive today. Look at what happened to Dawn Brancheau; Sea World told everyone she drowned, but the autopsy report revealed that she was brutally rammed and bitten so that her neck and sternum were crushed, and her arm completely torn off.
    If a killer whale wants to kill you it will.Those animals don´t belong in tanks. :(

It's a bit crazy to have such a vicious predator locked up in a tank to do tricks alright. Because they're essentially big dolphins and not known for attacking humans (in the wild at least) I think people tend not to see them as dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

well even if SeaWorld were "unaware" of how deadly they can be,you shouldn't be a trainer if you don't think there's a chance that you could be attacked by a whale!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

How $eaworld and other such places are still allowed to keep large marine animals in captivity is beyond me. You would have to be a complete and utter moron to think that you could ever reproduce their natural habitat!

When I see those trainers hugging and kissing the whales, dolphins and seals it just turns my stomach. If they felt anything towards those animals they would release them back to where they should be, not keeping them in excruciatingly tiny tanks and making them do tricks for food. If I met one of those "trainers" in real life I'd give them a piece of my mind.

It actually makes my blood boil. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Those animals don't belong in tanks. :(

Absolutely true

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They dont belong in captivity. Their intelligent enough to know their in captivity and being trained. This is going to happen again and again.

When I see those trainers hugging and kissing the whales, dolphins and seals it just turns my stomach. If they felt anything towards those animals they would release them back to where they should be, not keeping them in excruciatingly tiny tanks and making them do tricks for food. If I met one of those "trainers" in real life I'd give them a piece of my mind.

It actually makes my blood boil. :mad:

I don´t know what things are like with those Sea World trainers- why they are there and all that, and of course they must have different reasons, but I doubt they are to be blamed. If they are anything like many zookeepers- I was one once, so I know what I'm talking about-, they may simply be people who truly love/are fascinated by animals and whose job gives them the chance of being close to them, a chance they wouldn´t have otherwise.
    I never liked the conditions in which our crocodiles were kept- yet I loved crocs so much that I stayed for a while anyways, and yes, I would kiss the baby crocs and do sort of educational shows before the public and all... but I truly did care about them and had I been told the animals would be released, I would've been very happy, even though that would mean never to see them again.
    The fact that I worked in a place that kept animals locked up didn´t mean that I liked the conditions in which they lived, or that I didn´t fight to have the enclosures improved, or that I didn´t dream every single day of just opening the cages and release all the park's birds so they could at least die free.
    I suspect Sea World is the bad guy here, not the trainers, and of course, Sea World wouldn´t exist if people stopped visiting, so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement