Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank

Options
  • 26-07-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I am so annoyed, I have a dispute with Vodafone, as while I signed up to a 45 euro a month contract they are claiming 1440, (for one month) anyway am in dispute, so cancelled direct debit online, but knowing problems I also visited branch, where I was assured debit was cancelled, but they said better send registered letter to Vodafone advising them just in case. This was done but dispite this and dispute the fact there was only a couple of hundred euro in the account the bloody thing was paid. sugar, sugar, sugar, Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Just Jack wrote: »
    I am so annoyed, I have a dispute with Vodafone, as while I signed up to a 45 euro a month contract they are claiming 1440, (for one month) anyway am in dispute, so cancelled direct debit online, but knowing problems I also visited branch, where I was assured debit was cancelled, but they said better send registered letter to Vodafone advising them just in case. This was done but dispite this and dispute the fact there was only a couple of hundred euro in the account the bloody thing was paid. sugar, sugar, sugar, Help.

How did it wind up being that high? Did you go ape poopy on the internet while abroad? If the amount was legitimately owed then I don't see how you could have any recourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

In this situation does the OP have any recourse though the direct debit guarantee? Assuming its Ulster Bank's error due to the issues they've been having.

I realise it doesn't absolve the OP from owing it but they have essentially paid it without his permission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I have worked for telecoms companies. And they are scumbags. They overcharge people all the time. Fail to cancel account etc.

In fact, I'm not going to name the company - but if anyone can help in getting them nailed, advise. One of the companies, I've worked for, regularly double invoices and double draws from customer accounts. When customers call up to complain, they get a refund and an apology. But I know they've been at this since the 90s. Where they ran the billing software - then "accidentally" pushed a button an ran the software again.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Jack

How did it wind up being that high? Did you go ape poopy on the internet while abroad? If the amount was legitimately owed then I don't see how you could have any recourse.[/Quote]

I am disputing that I owe this amount..As a result I cancelled debit.. the banks role is to carry out instructions. not to decide the rights or wrongs of the dispute, or am I been naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

In this situation does the OP have any recourse though the direct debit guarantee?

I'm glad you asked the question. The OP has an absolute right to a full refund NOW. It's the OPs account, not Vodafones or the banks.

OP, ring your bank. Tell them that you cancelled the Direct Debit but the bank still honoured it. We all know that in reality, you can't cancel a direct debit. I dare make a further step and say the whole Scheme is a sham.
    If it is established that an unauthorised direct debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed an immediate refund by your bank of the amount so charged where you notify your bank without undue delay on becoming aware of the unauthorised direct debit, and in any event no later than 13 months after the date of debiting of such direct debit to your account

You should have the money back in your account today but you must follow these steps. Bear in mind, you may still owe the money.

1. Contact [Walk in or Ring] your local branch. This must be the branch that maintains the current account which feeds the Direct Debit
    2. Inform them that there was an un-authorised direct debit from your account and that you want the money refunded immediately.
    3. The chances are, that the staff are unaware of the rules. If they refuse and insist on an investigation or insist that the refund will take days or weeks, inform them that you will be making a formal complaint to their head office. Ask her for the number to Head Office Complaints :D
    4. If it gets this far, ring the complaints number. Inform them that you cancelled a Direct Debit a few days ago but your branch still honoured it. Be nice but assertive. This is NOT anybody's account but yours and you have full control over it. Insist that you want the money refunded today.
    5. If you still have no luck, immediately ring IPSO. Make a formal complaint and inform them that Ulster Bank are in breech of the Direct Debit Scheme. They will intervene on your behalf.

OP : In all references to full refund, I mean that the bank should put your account back to it's pre debit state. So Refund means the money taken AND any charges on your account for going overdrawn.

Good luck and REALLY, report back here with updates. I want to know how this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Jack

RangeR wrote: »
    I'm glad you asked the question. The OP has an absolute right to a full refund NOW. It's the OPs account, not Vodafones or the banks.

OP, ring your bank. Tell them that you cancelled the Direct Debit but the bank still honoured it. We all know that in reality, you can't cancel a direct debit. I dare make a further step and say the whole Scheme is a sham.

You should have the money back in your account today but you must follow these steps. Bear in mind, you may still owe the money.

1. Contact [Walk in or Ring] your local branch. This must be the branch that maintains the current account which feeds the Direct Debit
    2. Inform them that there was an un-authorised direct debit from your account and that you want the money refunded immediately.
    3. The chances are, that the staff are unaware of the rules. If they refuse and insist on an investigation or insist that the refund will take days or weeks, inform them that you will be making a formal complaint to their head office. Ask her for the number to Head Office Complaints :D
    4. If it gets this far, ring the complaints number. Inform them that you cancelled a Direct Debit a few days ago but your branch still honoured it. Be nice but assertive. This is NOT anybody's account but yours and you have full control over it. Insist that you want the money refunded today.
    5. If you still have no luck, immediately ring IPSO. Make a formal complaint and inform them that Ulster Bank are in breech of the Direct Debit Scheme. They will intervene on your behalf.

OP : In all references to full refund, I mean that the bank should put your account back to it's pre debit state. So Refund means the money taken AND any charges on your account for going overdrawn.

Good luck and REALLY, report back here with updates. I want to know how this goes.

Thanks to this which went exactly as outlined. when I visited branch I stood my ground, and payment refunded. now account shows in black and not overdrawn, yet I see they are charging 4.44 irregular account.Talk about neck I will be back in to them Monday. Thanks to all. especially you RangeR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fair play to you for standing up to them.

Advertisement