Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shower pull cord distance safety question

Options
  • 26-07-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Recently got an electric shower fitted for the bath, and the guy who did it put the pulley cord on the ceiling above the shower, so that the cord is dangling actually close enough to touch the shower housing.

I've read on some other sites that this pulley cord switch should be located some distance away from the shower, so that it can't be reached from the shower. Something about bathroom safety zones etc, and any I've ever used seemed to be some distance away too.

So how safe is this setup we've got now? I'm sure if i ask him, he can easily relocate it, but is it necessary? opinions please, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

kusstomer wrote: »
    Recently got an electric shower fitted for the bath, and the guy who did it put the pulley cord on the ceiling above the shower, so that the cord is dangling actually close enough to touch the shower housing.

I've read on some other sites that this pulley cord switch should be located some distance away from the shower, so that it can't be reached from the shower. Something about bathroom safety zones etc, and any I've ever used seemed to be some distance away too.

So how safe is this setup we've got now? I'm sure if i ask him, he can easily relocate it, but is it necessary? opinions please, thanks.

I think you should get him to move it if possible. The shower switch should not be directly above the shower. Did he use the correct cable and an RCBO?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, this does not sound ideal.
    In theory steam from the shower could enter the switch and cause it to short out. Generally pull cord switches are not designed to be installed in a steamy area.

There are guidelines in the ETCI regulations showing different zones that illustrate what can be installed where in a bathroom.

Advertisement