Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda told me I was be summonded for speeding no fixed points?!?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was pulled over for speeding on the motorway today by a unmarked Garda. The detective told asked me how fast I was going and truthfully I said and taught about 140km/h. He said I was and I quote "between 160-170km/hr" which i hinestly found extremely hard to believe. He also said that i was flashing cars to get out of my way. I actually flashed him once but that was all and I wasnt undertaking or up cars holes or of anything like that.

I was asked to produce my insurance cert and in the fluster I was in I couldn't find it so he said to produce it at a Garda station of my choice (which I told him) and which I will.

But then he said that I will receive a summons for speeding under section... Of the traffic act. When I asked why I wouldn't get a fixed point penalty he said it was because he didn't have "a docket book" but he took my details down in a notebook (which s exactly what happend on the one occasion before that I was caught by a gun and then received two points which I took).

I'm worried firstly why I wont be afforded the opportunity to accept points and pay a fine outside of court and secondly if the Garda tris to chare me with something else like careless or dangerous driving (which I didn't mention at the time).

I'd add that the Garda was plain clothed and didn't produce identification or anything like tat but then again I didn't ask him too?

Also he didnt have a speed gun but I'm assuming the car has a camera in it.

Basically anyone know where I stand? I'm panicking about getting high points or worse an endorsement etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Jack

I was pulled over for speeding on the motorway today by a unmarked Garda. The detective told asked me how fast I was going and truthfully I said and taught about 140km/h. He said I was and I quote "between 160-170km/hr" which i hinestly found extremely hard to believe. He also said that i was flashing cars to get out of my way. I actually flashed him once but that was all and I wasnt undertaking or up cars holes or of anything like that.

I was asked to produce my insurance cert and in the fluster I was in I couldn't find it so he said to produce it at a Garda station of my choice (which I told him) and which I will.

But then he said that I will receive a summons for speeding under section... Of the traffic act. When I asked why I wouldn't get a fixed point penalty he said it was because he didn't have "a docket book" but he took my details down in a notebook (which s exactly what happend on the one occasion before that I was caught by a gun and then received two points which I took).

I'm worried firstly why I wont be afforded the opportunity to accept points and pay a fine outside of court and secondly if the Garda tris to chare me with something else like careless or dangerous driving (which I didn't mention at the time).

I'd add that the Garda was plain clothed and didn't produce identification or anything like tat but then again I didn't ask him too?

Basically anyone know where I stand? I'm panicking about getting high points or worse an endorsement etc.

With any luck you will receive a large fine and endorsement.maybe then you might consider becoming a slower,better, driver

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Since a case up in Mullingar a few years ago, the act of speeding in and of itself doesn't constitute dangerous driving, the Gardai need to show that the public was put in peril.

If he's not in uniform, the Garda doesn't have to produce id unless you ask him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Justice here would be you having your license taken away for a few years. Do you realize you could have killed people? 140 (at least) and flashing your lights at people???? Are you for real? Who do you think you are? You must be AWFULLY important for you to think your time takes precedence over the the lives of others. If I was a judge and had the power, I'd throw in the Joy for a month as well to teach you not to be so reckless with the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Wait for your summons and then get onto your solicitor ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

seb65 wrote: »
    Justice here would be you having your license taken away for a few years. Do you realize you could have killed people? 140 (at least) and flashing your lights at people???? Are you for real? Who do you think you are? You must be AWFULLY important for you to think your time takes precedence over the the lives of others. If I was a judge and had the power, I'd throw in the Joy for a month as well to teach you not to be so reckless with the lives of others.

Dude - Now who's being dramatic!

He was on the motorway - 140 is pretty common even maybe a wee bit faster. A big fine a few points and an increase in his insurance would be enough to teach Mr Mansell a lesson here imo.

And yes you should have to going to court, good on the guard, you can explain to the judge why you were driving like a ..... Audi driver :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

He was on the motorway - 140 is pretty common even maybe a wee bit faster. A big fine a few points and an increase in his insurance would be enough to teach Mr Mansell a lesson here imo.

And yes you should have to going to court, good on the guard, you can explain to the judge why you were driving like a ..... Audi driver :D

140 is indeed common and a lot of the time justified. But..not in traffic and approaching other cars at high speed and flashing cars when they are overtaking at or exceeding the speed limit is not on. We do not have autobahns. Drive to the conditions

jsd1004 wrote: »
    140 is indeed common and a lot of the time justified. But..not in traffic and approaching other cars at high speed and flashing cars when they are overtaking at or exceeding the speed limit is not on. We do not have autobahns. Drive to the conditions

A month in the Joy though? Its never justifed imo I just point out we'd probably have to build another prison if we started locking people away for this... well another one on top of the two we already need.

A month in the Joy though? Its never justifed imo I just point out we'd probably have to build another prison if we started locking people away for this... well another one on top of the two we already need.

Who goes to jail for speeding..in this country you dont go to jail for killing someone when you are drunk

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/eddie-halvey-receives-suspended-sentence-and-seven-year-driving-ban-1-2188737

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

"I actually flashed him once but that was all..."

Kind of sums up the problem with bad Irish drivers in one line

jsd1004 wrote: »

A lot of the time justified? bahahahahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

nothing wrong with 140

nothing wrong with flashing overtaking lane hoggers either

Driving like a maniac and then distracting someone else on the road by flashing at them - endangering the life of another person - much more serious than pulling a free pint in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bluewolf wrote: »
    nothing wrong with 140

If they're cops driving at 120 there's plenty wrong unless you're driving an ambulance or fire brigade.

bluewolf wrote: »
    nothing wrong with 140

Yes there is but a punishment has to be justified. Not happy with the speed limit - commission a study and get it changed.
    seb65 wrote: »
    Driving like a maniac and then distracting someone else on the road by flashing at them - endangering the life of another person - much more serious than pulling a free pint in my opinion.

But you know yourself that the punishment needs to proportional. How many people (including me) drive on a provisional? How many jump red lights at pedestrian crossings? How many do 100Kph down the Quays late at night... all much worse than doing 140is on the motorway imo. Gardai frequently turn a blind eye to people driving like nutters in the city centre where they are much more likely to have a collision with a pedestrian which is going to be a hell of a lot for serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

coylemj wrote: »
    Unless they're cops driving at 120 in which case there's plenty wrong unless you're driving an ambulance or fire brigade.

oh, did the op actually flash a guard? i thought the "him" was just some random person
    i see now it says unmarked guard
    yeah that's a problem :D

Yes there is but a punishment has to be justified. Not happy with the speed limit - commission a study and get it changed.

But you know yourself that the punishment needs to proportional. How many people (including me) drive on a provisional? How many jump red lights at pedestrian crossings? How many do 100Kph down the Quays late at night... all much worse than doing 140is on the motorway imo. Gardai frequently turn a blind eye to people driving like nutters in the city centre where they are much more likely to have a collision with a pedestrian which is going to be a hell of a lot for serious.

Very true..i have no problem with someone driving at 160 km/h on motorway..when conditions permit..its only 40km ( over the limit..what bugs me is people driving at 160km/h in the rain, in traffic, at rush hour, with their fogs on (no fog), more than likely driving with parking lights and fogs (cause they look cool)..even at night. And in case any one accuses me of being a granny i own a supercar.

Dont get me started on people and they're bloody fog lights! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

1) Learn to recognise unmarked garda cars.
    2) You do realise admitting to him you were speeding has not at all helped you.
    You could have at least waited to see if he had proof. Now he probably doesnt need it, you admitted it already!

Anyway good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

you are probably being done for dangerous driving rather than speeding, hence not fixed points.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭retroactive

I just point out we'd probably have to build another prison if we started locking people away for this... well another one on top of the two we already need.

Quoted for truth.

Go to the station and speak to the Garda involved. Explain that you are quite sorry and how you wish to make amends.

If it goes to Court, GET LEGAL REPRESENTATION. Be ready to explain your financial circumstances and how you tried to make amends at the earliest convienence.

Dangerous driving and Careless driving are alternative verdicts. You can be charged with one and found guilty of the other. As one poster said - an element of the dangerous driving offence is that the public was in peril. Careless driving not so much. Each of the offences and their penalties can be found in the legislation by google, but be sure to get up-to-date as amended versions (I'm not looking it up because the Road Traffic Acts are a mess and really really need to be properly consolidated)

The usual penalty in these circumstances would be a fine and/or an endorsement. The sentence will be mitigated by your personal circumstances (have evidence). Be ready to explain the reasons for this transgression and your past transgressions. You wont end up 'in da joy'

Thats all I can say without really violating the charter

• Advertisement

Just Jack wrote: »
    With any luck you will receive a large fine and endorsement.maybe then you might consider becoming a slower,better, driver
    Maybe I am being a little harsh. perhaps you were only doing about 140K as you claimed, and not the 160 to 170K per hour the guard is saying. I mean its not as if you were undertaking or up cars holes tailgating,and maybe you do have a full license, and valid Insurance. I mean who would be so silly as to drive as you did, without been fully documented. Perhaps a small fine and the endorsement would be enough. Might come down to, was limit 100Km/h or 120Km/h in any event I strongly recomend you see a solicitor.

Dont get me started on people and they're bloody fog lights! :D

I take it you mean inconsiderate people, who drive with rear fogs on, blinding following cars, and not really nice and good drivers like me who use side lights and front fogs for safety. The number of motorist who do not use lights of any description in bad weather conditions. Well, you don't want to get me, started on them.

I honestly think it has more to do with incompetence than anything else. I think making a ten year old Astra look cool is beyond even the most amazing of fog lights. My other pet hate is people who don't know how to use box junctions.

I should add this is all highly hypocritical of me as I haven't been arsed resiting the test I failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

coylemj wrote: »
    Since a case up in Mullingar a few years ago, the act of speeding in and of itself doesn't constitute dangerous driving, the Gardai need to show that the public was put in peril.

If he's not in uniform, the Garda doesn't have to produce id unless you ask him to.

Link? District or circuit?

I know of several successful prosecutions for excessive speed on roads that lead to a Dangerous driving conviction, upheld in the circuit, based soley on excessive speed (granted in excess of 200kmph on a motorway)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Did I have a stroke and this turned into After Hours? Cut out the nonsense holier than thou rubbish and maybe stick to LEGAL DISCUSSION rather than being judgemental busybodies.

OP, get a solicitor.

/thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement