Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Change Question

Options
  • 26-07-2012 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

hi
    looking for anyone in similar situation. married a few years, kept my maiden name-pregnant now, heard there might be hassle to give baby fathers surname if mine is different so i changed it in maternity and therefore my medical chart and will change it at doctors surgery next appt.
    i'm quite happy to keep my maiden name elsewhere but am now wondering will it impact on child allowance payments and maternity benefit (different name in bank)
    anyone else do this successfully or do i have to go the whole hog and change everything now:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mapaco wrote: »
    hi
    looking for anyone in similar situation. married a few years, kept my maiden name-pregnant now, heard there might be hassle to give baby fathers surname if mine is different so i changed it in maternity and therefore my medical chart and will change it at doctors surgery next appt.
    i'm quite happy to keep my maiden name elsewhere but am now wondering will it impact on child allowance payments and maternity benefit (different name in bank)
    anyone else do this successfully or do i have to go the whole hog and change everything now:rolleyes:

Our Kids and different surnames from both parents, we inflicted a double barrel surename on them, and it did not cause any issue with children allowances

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

When I was registering in the hospital for the ante-natal clinics etc. I registered using my married name for the same reason you said above as I had heard the same rumour (don't know if it really matters though!!). And the girl in the hospital was like it is so much easier to register with your married name then trying to change it at a later stage. So now I'm my married name in the hospital but have kept my maiden name every where else! My little one is a year old now and it did'nt cause any bother for child benefit or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mapaco wrote: »
    married a few years, kept my maiden name-pregnant now, heard there might be hassle to give baby fathers surname if mine is different
    As far as I know, the GRO just ask mother's surname, father's surname and child's surname.

Talk to them. http://www.groireland.ie/ContactUs.htm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kebris

On getting married my wife decided not to change her name either - so all our legal documents and bank accounts list her using her own name. When our daughters were born they took my name. Never any issue anywhere with this even with child allowance, benefits, etc. and this was 18 years ago!
    the only "hassle" was in the maternity ward I was called Mr. "wife's surname"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

thanks so much everyone :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement