Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio 4 "rights restrictions" on net broadcast.

Options
  • 26-07-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Switched on R4 about 10 mins ago and this is on a loop: "due to rights restrictions this part of the programme is unavailable". Heard it on R5 before but never on 4 especially not on a news programme. Anyone else heard this before on this station? Hope its not a new thing thats going to be prevalent from now on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

In 2008, I remember RTE effectively shut down their online streaming during the Olympics because anything broadcast from within an Olympics venue, or a car going to/from the Games could only be broadcast within Ireland and they couldn't police it. Maybe it's related to that? That said, I'm listening to R5L now without any issues so maybe I'm totally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Switched on R4 about 10 mins ago and this is on a loop: "due to rights restrictions this part of the programme is unavailable". Heard it on R5 before but never on 4 especially not on a news programme. Anyone else heard this before on this station? Hope its not a new thing thats going to be prevalent from now on.

I heard it on Radio Telefis Milltown that is was your turn to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shivna

I have also been unable to get BBC4 on my Internet radio, though I can receive it on SKY. Radio 1 and 3 are available still though, so it must have something to do with the Olympics. You will probably find that you will be able to get the Archers OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

I've heard it very, very occasionally - usually in place of archive footage rather than live events. But nothing like this last couple of days.
    I can't believe I haven't been able to listen to "Today" at all this morning, not even the headlines.
    But I am guessing it is Olympics related. There was a recent play about Zola Budd and the last few minutes were blanked out with that "rights restrictions" loop, presumably because it was archive broadcast of her race.
    Off to program World Service into my WiFi radio again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

cscook wrote: »
    I've heard it very, very occasionally - usually in place of archive footage rather than live events. But nothing like this last couple of days.
    I can't believe I haven't been able to listen to "Today" at all this morning, not even the headlines.
    But I am guessing it is Olympics related. There was a recent play about Zola Budd and the last few minutes were blanked out with that "rights restrictions" loop, presumably because it was archive broadcast of her race.
    Off to program World Service into my WiFi radio again!!

You're not missing much. It's wall to wall olympics really. And now it's Big Ben and bells ringing and Boris Johnson on the line :rolleyes: HEADACHE already!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I hope it's only due to the Olympics - the Today programme is far superior to any of the rubbish we get on Irish stations in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm guessing its because of the Olympics?

Gutted that the "today" show is unavailable!

And it looks like 5-live is restricting all content remotely olympic connected.
    I searched for "5-live Olympics extra" and Tune-in would not allow me to even select the channel.

Has anyone any knowhow how to get around this??

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

If you ever listen to the commentary of the rugby world cup on Newstalk online, it has the 'best bits of Newstalk Sport'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

All very disappointing. I tuned in to 5Live this morning, hoping to pick up on the general atmosphere of the games, only to hear bits and pieces from back in the Summer, Wimbledon, FA Cup, Euros, etc. This was interspersed with the message about rights restrictions.

I then tuned to Radio 4, hoping to find some bits about the Olympics on Today to find that they just have the looping rights restriction message.

Sounds like a total blackout for the Olympics. It also explains why the BBC has a very restricted podcast - twice weekly 30min digest from across all their stations - I had hoped 5Live would have a daily 60 min run down of each days action, perhaps with other podcasts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

This will explain. "A BBC spokesman said: "The BBC is not host broadcaster for the London 2012 Olympic Games. The host broadcaster is OBS, who have been appointed by Locog and the IOC."

Blame the IOC - and corporatisation of the games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/27/ioc-ban-hits-radio-4-shows

• Advertisement

Have found that LBC (broadcasting in the clear on the internet) is not a bad alternative for getting a sense of what's happening in London, not by any means to the standard of 5Live, but not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

Use VPN express app , also abc grandstand and abc extra are Aussie stations online , if you use VPN express the bbc Olympic station will work on tune in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

May not be much help but the channel will of course by on Sky/Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Chris Evans on BBC R2 was also blocked this morning though it was back in the afternoon. The UPC radio channel (908) wasn't affected, just the stream I was getting via TuneIn on the iTouch. I think UPC pick it up OTA from Divis so they're not affected by blocking for copyright reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

This has always happened. In 2000 when I was in America, it was almost impossible to watch anything live, NBC showed recorded action the following evening. Internet streaming was not very advanced at the time but reliable streams shut down for the few weeks of the Olympics. Last time they stopped showing NBC nightly news on CNBC for two weeks for the same reason.

Radio is the same, even if they're only talking about an event it seems to be an issue. Live coverage of actual sports I can understand but general conversation?

It's the only sporting event in the world that seems to have this huge effect.

Now it's off to find my Long Wave radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I think the main concept is that it's your turn to pay!

following up on a previous post, I tried Express VPN on my old Samsung Galaxy S (I don't think its available on later versions of Android).

A few twists & turns aside I'm pleased to say it worked out pretty well.

TuneIn is not able to buffer so there is a slight skip every few seconds of broadcast, however all the UK stations are now working fine.

following up on a previous post, I tried Express VPN on my old Samsung Galaxy S (I don't think its available on later versions of Android).

A few twists & turns aside I'm pleased to say it worked out pretty well.

TuneIn is not able to buffer so there is a slight skip every few seconds of broadcast, however all the UK stations are now working fine.

Hi spank_inferno, I am trying to do just what you have done. Since Friday I have not been able to get past the connection stage - I keep getting 'Error Connecting - Network Error!' with an offer to re-setup encryption, which just results in another network error.

On one occassion I got it to work, but I was on a WiFi network - am wondering if there is a restriction on mobile data networks or anything?

Any advice you can give - ExpressVPN help is non-existant ...

I also had that error when initially using it.

However an un-install and re-install was needed.
    I also had issues using the trial via just my email address
    So support sent me an activation code instead to use the trial.

After that it was fine.

They are based in Cali (I think) so emails to them may not go answered till later, though I found them prompt enoug,

Yep, have re-installed a few times, the one time it worked was right after a re-install.

Are you using via Wifi or 3G?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I've been using both.

Both work ok, except for the no-buffer skipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I heard this rights restriction last night - when The Now Show was going to be talking about the Olympics!

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

That's funny! I was thinking how much they'd relaxed it from the initial draconian black-out. Today and PM seem to have been totally back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thought they had relaxed it also as I was able to listen to Chris Evans on Radio 2 over the weekend on my Pure internet radio (as opposed to an app) as earlier in the week the loop had been playing.

Tried tuning to Radio5Live this morning. Restrictions are still in place. I'm worried now that this will continue through to the end of the Paralympics ...

It's been fine all evening Ghengis.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Is anyone getting the rights restrictions on BBC London also on internet radio?
    Missing my fix of Robert Elms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is anyone getting the rights restrictions on BBC London also on internet radio?
    Missing my fix of Robert Elms.

R4 seems to be back to normal, don't listen to BBC London so don't know about it, 4's restrictions seemed to be over the Olympics period only.

Advertisement