Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda paint repair

Options
  • 26-07-2012 5:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hi

Some p***k threw an egg at my car last night on the M4 and it damaged the paintwork. I did not pull over the time as it was after midnight, in the middle of nowhere.

There is now a few small raised ridges around the impact area with a chip of paint missing in the center. I contacted Skoda today and got the paint type for my car, as its only 4 months old I wanted to do a proper job on it. They advised I take the paint code to a Skoda and insurance approved body shop and get it done professionally but I may be at risk of losing my no claims bonus (yet to be confirmed by the insurance company). A friend of mine advised me to get a colour repair kit, drop pain into the ship until flush, put a tiny bit of lacquer over it and smooth the area out with t-cut.

I'm just looking for advice from people who may have more experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Does the affected area look similar to this?

saabegg1.jpg

If it does, then its very difficult to fix. Its not the same as a stone chip, which is a chunk of paint removed. A stone chip can be filled slightly proud, sanded back and polished.

Sometimes egg shell damage, is only damage to the clear coat and as a result it can be polished out. Have you any pictures of what the damage looks like?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It is slightly similar to that, but smaller in scale. I will try get a photo of it and upload it after the weekend.

More like this perhaps??

A polish will help make it less obvious - but chances are, it wont full remove it. Filling it with a paint repair kit, will also not be 100% - and unfortunately, to get it 100% might mean a respray! :o Which on a 4 month old car, might be the way to go!
    If it were me, I'd try machine polish it to see how well it comes up!

EggImprintChips02.jpg

More like that with a little crater in the middle where the chip is. I may try the pain dropper and lacquer to fill it in and then get someone to polish it. Some one also dragged their bag over the edge of the bonnet and left drag marks on the bonnet so want to get them buffed out also.

Without seeing it, so cant say for sure, but it might be difficult enough to fill. From my experience, they tend to be small and difficult to fill.

It will take a lot of time, patience and a steady hand....good luck with it! ;) Report back on how you get on! :)

• Advertisement

Will do, I'm off on a stag so she will be left til Monday for photos and further assessment.

This is a picture of it. Was a very bright day. The white spot shows the part that the paint is chipped out. As you can see, the chrome strip above is also damaged and there is still a bit of egg and damage in the groove between the paintwork and chrome.

Think I'm going to have to get this looked at by a pro. Can anyone recommend someone, preferably in the midlands that would be good for this sort of job? Would anyone be able to hazard a guess as to what the repair of something like this would cost?

Advertisement