Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR ratings July 2011-June 2012

Options
  • 26-07-2012 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/JNLR-Results-July-2012.pdf

Average Weekday Yesterday Listenership

Any RTE Radio 1/ RTÉ 2FM /RTE Lyric FM 35 (+0) 36 (+0)
    RTÉ Radio 1 25 (+0)
    RTÉ 2FM 11 (+0)
    RTÉ Lyric FM 4 (+0)
    Today FM 14 (+0)
    Newstalk 8 (+0)

Quiet enough then!

RTE might be a little unhappy with the very low number for RTE radio 1 among the under 35s at 5.6%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Awaits the usual '12% increase in one legged female listeners named Sharon at weekends' spin from every Radio station in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

mike65 wrote: »
    http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/JNLR-Results-July-2012.pdf

Average Weekday Yesterday Listenership

Any RTE Radio 1/ RTÉ 2FM /RTE Lyric FM 35 (+0) 36 (+0)
    RTÉ Radio 1 25 (+0)
    RTÉ 2FM 11 (+0)
    RTÉ Lyric FM 4 (+0)
    Today FM 14 (+0)
    Newstalk 8 (+0)

Quiet enough then!

RTE might be a little unhappy with the very low number for RTE radio 1 among the under 35s at 5.6%

How do they work out the numbers for individual shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Ovealll here:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio

Program Blocks here:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102400-jnlr-2012-2-radio-programmes-listeners

Just two Caveats: I don't do the conventional - comparing appleas with oranges - in these figures July 2011 to June 2012 is compared to July 2010 to June 2011 - and not the previous quarter -
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/101861-jnlr-data-comparisons

Its not the "usual" way, but I think the other way is flawed.

Second, the universes have changes between these two surveys, showing a bigger population. This means that if your reach % is the same - your absolute numbers of listeners will have increased - we'll see a lot of gloating copy on have back of increases in listeners on the back of increases in population estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

So it looks like in the last 24 months 2fm have lost on average 60k listeners , most going to ray darcy on today fm and the rest going to newstalk with breakfast and tom dunne benefitting.

fascinating graphic here: http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102399-radio-quarters-21012-2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Today FM are quoting 200,000 increase in listeners in latest JNLRs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Infoanon wrote: »
    Today FM are quoting 200,000 increase in listeners in latest JNLRs !

Probably over the course of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Newstalk
    • Breakfast continued to grow with the show now reaching an audience of 133,000 listeners daily. It is the only national radio show in the country to show consistent growth in the last two years. The show has grown by 23,000 listeners
    • The Right Hook with George Hook continues to grow with 130,000 people listening daily which is an increase of 11,000 listeners in the last year
    • Moncrieff with Sean Moncrieff has grown to reach 93,000 listeners daily that is an increase of 4,000 in the year

The last of Ivan's JNLR figures, just shows how much he is going to be missed, they're only going to be going in one direction after this - down. No mention of Tom Dunne again, which can only mean one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok a few results so far..

Strawberry Alarm Clock up 6000 to 89000
    Liveline up to 428000
    Gareth O Callaghan up 7000

Tubridy up 3,000 and Hector up 8,000. Ray D'Arcy increases his lead on Tubridy though, he now has 255,000 listeners.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0726/breaking53.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tubridy up! WTF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tubridy up! WTF.

A new nursing home must have opened up somewhere.

Tubridy up! WTF.

Well he was up 1,000 in last February, down 4,000 in May and now up 3,000. So he is back where he was 9 months ago i.e, 130,000 down on when he took over the show.

The most positive thing that could be said is... maybe, he has hit bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

EchoO wrote: »
    Newstalk

The last of Ivan's JNLR figures, just shows how much he is going to be missed, they're only going to be going in one direction after this - down. No mention of Tom Dunne again, which can only mean one thing.

If your company sends out a press release and covers every slot bar one (in the 9ish to 5ish block) - I think it's poor, very poor, if not insulting.

Even a hat tip in the press release to ' maintaining share in an historically difficult time slot' yada, yada, would have been enough, if not something.

Dennis - if you want me to "shine up poo" without being dismissive in future, you know where I am.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bbability wrote: »
    Liveline up to 428000

Bloody hell, this country is getting stupider by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

First of my posts on boards.ie following the loss of Radiowaves forum. I don't work directly in the radio business, haven't for a long number of years but I am in the sales business but not dealing with radio so I have no particular axe to grind.

First off, excellent posts from Blue4Ever. Well written and the graphs are great. I take your point on the comparisons too but for my purposes I will follow the JNLR comparison model although I do not claim that it is any more accurate, it just matches my trend reading which is what I base my commentary on.

I will do some more detail over the weekend but just wanted to mention a few interesting numbers divided into good book/bad book and focussed on the Dublin area.

Good book for Spin 1038 in particular who have performed excellently on share and are now getting many extra minutes out of their 234,000 listeners per week giving them an amazing 7.7% share. Good book to for 2FM although that is of course a relative measure given the nightmare they have had in recent times. With a smaller reach (listened yesterday), they have managed to gain .5% share to bring them up to 6% and a mere .3% behind Today FM which is some turnaround in a few books. Reasonable book for 4FM which has now reached 1.4% share but it is painfully slow progress and their 6 month book doesn't look great. Big winner is FM104 who have gained .8% to now reach 12.2% market share.

Bad book for Today FM losing .6% share in Dublin and quite significant drops in listened yesterday (reach) and 7 day listenership. I haven't analysed the programmes individually yet but will be interesting to see which shows lost numbers. Another kicking in this book for 98FM who have dropped yet again after a recovery last time to 7.7% where they are now on a level with stablemates Spin. Significant drop too for Q102 who have lost quite significantly in the last year but are still sitting comfortably above the 8% mark at 8.3%. Small drops for Nova who have probably reached their share peak of about 3%. Trends not great since the relaunch of Dublins Country as Sunshine with reach slowly slipping away incrementally but still small movement. Green milers Phantom 105.2 drop share to 0.7% and has it's reach drop by more than 20% to 18,000 it's lowest level ever.

Minor movements for RTE1 and Lyric and a small slip for Newstalk who will be concerned about the effect of Ivan Yates' departure will have in future books. Finally, as Blue4Ever rightly pointed out, one of the more interesting statistics is the continuing decline in the number of people listeneing to radio at all. Radio take note.

The Analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Bullet in the head for 98, for total listenership they received 11 pc which afaik has dropped 4pc in the last year as they were level with Spin. Their market share has dropped aswell. But for these music stations, they boast high listenership with low market share as people flick from channel to channel to find the song they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tom Dunne at 49,000 oh dear:o

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Blue4Ever, are you able to do an analysis going back over lets say 5 years of Radio Listenership in general? I noted with interest that 15-24 year old listenership to ANY radio has now dropped to 75%.

The 85% overall listenership figure is still healthy by any standards but it is being chipped away at from below with that drop now extending to 15-34 where listenership has dropped from 81-78% in this book. It has moved from being an adjustment to being a trend but I don't have the data to be able to trace it reliably back accross all radio rather than individual stations.

There is an interesting (as always) slideshow from MEC online with a summary and a trend chart but it seems to be mistaken in that it says that 15-34 listenership is at 84% having being at a peak of 86% in 2009 but my figures suggest that the correct figure is 81% nationally (and has dropped to 78% in Dublin). Some excellent analysis later in that presentation, particularly of station and show performance over a number of years.

The Analyst

Advertisement