Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating website for my mom?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello Ladies,

I need some help please. My father passed away a few years ago and my family and I have been on a journey since then. Now we are moving on with our lives and my mom has expressed an interest in dating again.

She wants to try online dating and has asked for my help. I have met my partner online so I have a clue but we are a different age group and the website I was on would not suit her. She is in her 50s and is looking to meet men of a similar age.

Does anyone have any idea which website would be the best for us to use? Or even any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I've heard about eharmony but I have no experience with it. Other than that I don't know any dating sites, so I can't really recommend any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey there,

There's a great thread on online dating in tGC (tho it is for/both genders use it) HERE.

There's also a Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas forum (no offence to your mum meant :pac:) which might be worth a try.

Give me a shout if either suit and I'll move this thread over... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

OKCupid is free to join. They also have a fun system of building up your profile/compatabilities with numerous questionaires and such.
    http://www.okcupid.com

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I used eharmony myself and got on fairly well - you can be very specific about who you want, in terms of age, smoking, drinking, religious beliefs, children etc. Rather than going striaght into contact you can send icebreakers if somebody catches your eye, and then start conversation by sending over a selection of questions that you pick (multiple choice answers).

I met a few people for dates on it and whilst they didn't lead to romance i made some friends out of it. Also, i probably wasn't looking for a relationship for the right reasons at the time. However, i still would recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 freeicetea

Thanks I will look into eharmony today. Thank you all for the advice.

Ickle Magoo I will read the thread on dating online but could you move this to the old wans place thanks xx

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL as per OP request.

Maple

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hya Freeicetee, welcome to O&O.
    There was a dating thread that was quite busy until recently. Have a read through that and perhaps you'll find your answers there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77154296

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

[QUOTE=Ickle Magoo;79933530

There's also a Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas forum (no offence to your mum meant :pac:) which might be worth a try.
    [/QUOTE]

Er, excuse us, what offence would that be then :eek: Hmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I would say try out the various websites - look to see how many men in her age range there are compared to women. I don't think it makes much difference whether the sites are free or paid, it's equally difficult to get any men to meet up in real life.

Unless the site runs singles evenings, which are actually good fun, and tend to have a good turn-out. (Although they tend to be heavily of the pub-and-loud-music kind, which I hate. With a majority of young people. And often run for profit, although they are not supposed to be.)

Otherwise I'd say your mother's chances of meeting someone are actually better through shared interests, rather than singles sites. Try MeetUp.com. No pressure, cos people aren't hoping to meet partners, and are meeting a good variety of people.

Advertisement