Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA slow shut Down

Options
  • 26-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭

Hi

Purchases MBA June 22, its 256GB with 8GB Ram

Have noticed that it seems very slow shutting down....

Not sure whats going on....

Any advice appreciated

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hi

Purchases MBA June 22, its 256GB with 8GB Ram

Have noticed that it seems very slow shutting down....

Not sure whats going on....

Any advice appreciated

My MBP was really fast shutting down when I first got it. 3 - 5 seconds and it was a 7200rpm HDD. Now it takes around 25 - 30 secs. I just put it down to having so many files now and installed apps. I don't know if this is an actual problem. Although SSD should be a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Try going into safe mode and rebooting it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Done that and update to 10.8 bit still takes ages to shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Because Mountain Lion will try to relaunch all of the applications that were open when shutting down and will attempt to restore their windows, it is possible that one of more of your applications is responding slowly when the OS sends it a message that it is about to shut down and waits for a response.

Try quitting all open applications before shutting down. Does it still take a long time? If so, its the OS. If not, its an application. I feel that it is unlikely to be the OS on such a new machine, unless there is some major bug.

Out of curiosity, are you shutting the machine every time you're finished using it? There's usually no particular need to, these days OS X is designed around the concept of letting the machine sleep between periods of use, shutting down is usually an occasional thing unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

When you shut down, do you have the check box 'reopen windows when logging back in' checked? If so, try shutting down without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How long is ages? After I've been using my machine for a while (a few months), shutdowns take a bit longer, it's been the way on all my Macs. But we're only talking 10 sec mac of the grey screen and pinwheel spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

It takes about 22secs...to shut down, I have unclicked the box.

I shut down when going to bed, otherwise I leave it on

Advertisement