Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Injury Summons

Options
  • 26-07-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I was involved in a car accident last October that left me with an injured back. I have been having physio bi weekly which is helping.

I currently have a claim going through and last month my solicitor sent of a Personal Injury Summons to the other side's insurers.

Does anyone know how long it takes to settle a claim after a Summons is issued? I currently live in London and am hoping to relocate to Australia in the next few months and want it sorted asap.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

How long is a piece of string, the matter could be resolved next week and it may be years, 2,3,4 or more. Nobody can answer that question.

BTW, to have gone through PIAB and have a PIS issued 9 months post accident is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JasonBourne1

How long is a piece of string, the matter could be resolved next week and it may be years, 2,3,4 or more. Nobody can answer that question.

BTW, to have gone through PIAB and have a PIS issued 9 months post accident is really good.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way I can speed up the process? The job I've been offered in Australia requires me to start in October and I don't want to have to travel home to attend Court.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way I can speed up the process? The job I've been offered in Australia requires me to start in October and I don't want to have to travel home to attend Court.

Well the High Court closes on Tuesday for 2 months so doubt it. If the Defendent knows your situation he will only take advantage and offer little or no money. Tell your solicitor and arrange how you will stay in contact etc. and when required come back. A joint medical should be arranged before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Was that the first letter of intent you had sent to them?? As in the first time you'd started any proceedings? The company have 90 days to either accept or refuse the claim. Accept, piab put a value on it. Usual length, 6-9 months.

Refuse then you get a authorisation code to go to court. That could take forever. Depends on the insurance company your chasing really

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JasonBourne1

Thanks for the responses.

Its going through the Circuit Court. The Summons was issued a month ago and an up to date medical was sent to them last week.

Would the solicitor be able to contact them with a view of settling out of Court or will it have to go to that far?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses.

Its going through the Circuit Court. The Summons was issued a month ago and an up to date medical was sent to them last week.

Would the solicitor be able to contact them with a view of settling out of Court or will it have to go to that far?

The Circuit Court also closes for August and September. Also traditionally nothing happens in August as most solicitors take Holidays during that month.

In relation to settling your solicitor knows way more about the case and more importantly the insurance company and their solicitor, do he will know if settlement is an option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

1. Have you got PIAB authorisation to issue proceedings?

2. Depending on the Circuit Court judge in the area a Circuit Court can be quicker than the High Court

3. talk to your solicitor about the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

If your summons has been served potentially your case could be set down for hearing within 6-12 months from now. A lot will depend on your own symptoms and whether you are still symptomatic because if you are it wouldn't be prudent to set down or settle until a clear prognosis is made. Other factors are your own solicitor and how efficient he/she is in pushing your case on and indeed the other side's solicitors. If they are inefficient your case will drag on a little longer. These and a few other smaller variables will determine how quick you get your compo.

Advertisement