Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a PLC in order to progress to Higher Education

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Students planning on taking the PLC route to higher education (ie Level 7 & 8degrees) in 2013 should be aware that a new system will apply for the calculation of points from September 2013 onwards. So if you are doing a PLC/FEFETAC course in 2012-1023 then the new system will apply.

This scoring system replaces that ofthe original higher education links scheme and that of the ‘pilot’ scheme,and applies to all results achieved from 2013 regardless of whether theyare part of the new award or old award programme process.

A PLC course normally leads to a full FETAC award (Major award). It normally includes 8 modules (subjects within an award are referred to as component or modules) and under the new system the major award (ie the full course) will lead to 120 credits with each individual component typically carrying a weight of 15credits (this varies depending on the level of the component). Credits are not points but the value assigned to them.

Results at FETAC level are calculated as follows;

Distinction 80%-100%

Merit 65%-79%

Pass 50%-64%

Scoring

Each level 5 and /level 6 component(module) is scored by CAO as follows:

· 3.333 for a Distinction

· 2.222 for a Merit and

· 1.111 for a Pass grade

This is then multiplied by theindividual component credit value (Level 5 is typically 15 credits but some canbe 20 credits – this information is available on the FETAC website or from thePLC/FE college).

So for example Communications at Level 5 is 15 credits. A student who gains a distinction in Communications has the points for this subject calculated asfollows;

3.333 X 15 credits =49.995points

Some key points to note;

· Learners will continue to apply through CAO

· Learners must achieve a full major award

· The maximum points that can be achieved under this system is 400 points

· FETAC points can not be added or combined with Leaving Cert points

· FETAC results issue to CAO

Full details can be obtained at; http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Progression_to_Higher_Education_2013.pdf

Some Institutes of Technology (IoT) or universities will still

· require that that the major award is achieved in a single sitting ie you can not combine components or modules from previous awards

· require specified component awards, specific grades in individual component awards, or additional awards such as mathematics.

These are the entry requirements from the IoT or University so you need to consult with them.

The best approach is to identify the course you wish to progress to at level 7 or 8 and identify what FETAC award you need and any specific components/modules(subjects) and then get in writingfrom your FE college the exact details of your course, with FETAC award codes and credit value and compare this to the criteria you need to progress on to your Level 7 or 8 course. Do not rely on any marketing information i.e.brochures or websites or a verbal assurance as colleges can use a different name for a course than the name of the FETAC award (a typical example is Veterinary Assistant is the name of the course but the FETAC award is AnimalCare).

Best ofluck

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Seriously, what is with FETAC's inability to put things into simple English?! I have read your post FurtherEd and the FETAC leaflet repeatedly and even with a third level education and years of teaching experience, I find it very difficult to understand.

The leaflet on progression they used to put out was also horrendous. I used to give it out to my Level 5 students, run through it and then proceed to explain it in plain English myself using my own notes. I'm going to have to do the same again with this change.
    This is then multiplied by the individual component credit value to a maximum 120 credits, a total of 400 points.
    - why not just say "module credits"?

I'm assuming that there will still be reserved places for FETAC students in courses like Nursing, so what is the point in implementing a new complicated scoring system, unless FETAC students are competing with LC students?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I take it we have to wait and hear from the HEIs to see what effect (if any) this has on the admission process?

Very confusing altogether:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Agree that the language is confusing and it would be great to have a simpler method but this has been approved by the Admission Officers of the IoTS and Universities. Perhaps it will translated into simpler language when the transfer to the Common Awards System is completed.

At least all the different ways of calculating points is now gone and there is only one method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I just wonder who writes this stuff:rolleyes:

FurtherEd, do you know how the old HELS system is going to work. Will there still be limited places for FETAC students or will they be competing directly points-wise with LC students?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

There will only be one system for the calculation of points which is a relief in one way.

But don't forget that with the combining of the VECs and FAS and the introduction of the Common Awards System there will be alot more people eligible to apply for places via the CAO after completing a FETAC award (and even the name FETAC may be disappearing too).

Re allocation of places or do students compete with Leaving Cert students I think that will decided by the colleges and universities themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

It would be daft if there wasn't some revision made in respect of the increased competition, although I wouldn't exactly be stunned if I heard otherwise :\

Advertisement