Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Tatoo Translation

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Can someone help,

I am looking for a translation for a tattoo that is

"Sisters by Birth, Best friends by choice"

I have been onto an Irish teacher and they have come back with

"Deirfiuracha on mbroinn dluthcairde go deo"

Which to me is Twins.....close friends forever.

Can someone give a good translation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Deirfiúracha ón mbroinn would be ok, I think - doesn't have to imply being twins. Another possibility for something "slogan"-like to suit a tattoo might be "Deirfiúracha ó dhúchas", which has the implication of kinship, and has the advantage of alliteration. One can talk about "mo cheantar dúchais", meaning my native place/my home, and a "cainteoir dúchais" is a native speaker.

Dlúthchairde is also a nice translation for close friends. If you were happy with "forever" instead of "by choice", then you'd have a great alliterative slogan for a tattoo, "Deirfiúracha ó dhúchas, dlúthchairde go deo." However if you prefer to stick with the theme of choice, the word "deoin" might be useful - it means will, as in "of his own will". In fact, I'm pretty sure that "de dheoin" might be a sort of fixed phrase to translate that specific concept, so you could end up with the following:

"Deirfiúracha ó dhúchas, dlúthchairde de dheoin."

- however, I'd recommend you didn't settle on that until someone else here can confirm that I'm not stretching the meaning of the Irish phrases used.

PS if you do use the above, don't forget to adhere to the exact spelling I've used and to put the fadas in!

Advertisement