Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent users deleting History

Options
  • 25-07-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I need to prevent users deleting history from the Favourites tab of internet explorer 9. I have already dissabled in private browsing and dissabled delete browsing history from tools. However if i go into the history tab in favourites i can still delete viewed websites 1 by 1. I need help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wouldn't you just be better off forcing them through a proxy and logging the sites they visit from there? It's about the only way to be certain of keeping track of users really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

This may be invasion of privacy?

Your better off just trying to block the sites you don't want them to visit in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

pk10216 wrote: »
    I need to prevent users deleting history from the Favourites tab of internet explorer 9. I have already dissabled in private browsing and dissabled delete browsing history from tools. However if i go into the history tab in favourites i can still delete viewed websites 1 by 1. I need help

you could prevent users deleting favourite sites in IE using group policies.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/3760/vista-how-to-keep-users-from-clearing-ies-history-of-their-browsing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Yup. If you aren't explicit in declaring your intent here, you could end up in pretty hot water.

From a technical POV, though, there are a number of ways to achieve this. A proxy, like squid, or a DNS forwarder, with all DNS requests logged would give you the results you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Best to get sign off from HR & Legal before rolling this out.
    Also insist that your get HR & Legal sign off before providing logs to anybody including users direct managers.

Your better off just trying to block the sites you don't want them to visit in the first place.
    gerryk wrote: »
    Yup. If you aren't explicit in declaring your intent here, you could end up in pretty hot water.

From a technical POV, though, there are a number of ways to achieve this. A proxy, like squid, or a DNS forwarder, with all DNS requests logged would give you the results you require.

• Advertisement
Advertisement