Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Lion - Clean Install or Upgrade directly?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I'm running a 2011 MBP 13" base model running OSX Lion and my mac has slowed down quite considerably since I had Snow Leopard on it.

Should I just update to ML or do a clean install? I'm doing a thesis at the moment so I'm put off doing a clean install because it means redownloading word and moving files over etc.

Thoughts? Will upgrading sort out my speed issues? I can always upgrade and then do a clean install eventually can't I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

I did an upgrade at first (by accident). I found it a bit flakey, possibly due to the amount of rubbish I had installed on Lion. I'd be inclined to do a fresh install if speed is a concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

I did an upgrade to Lion and have found it slow and quite buggy - could be due to the amount of apps I've had but I'm going for a clean install of Mountain Lion. Just make sure to back up using Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Macworld have a good article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167867/should_you_do_a_clean_install_of_mountain_lion.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I did an upgrade on both of my machines. I'm not sure there's any point doing a clean install unless you are going to go to the trouble of manually copying all your data over and reinstalling your apps - which I was too lazy to do.

Everything went smoothly anyway. I'm very picky about what I install, so there wouldn't be a lot of junk on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Took this opportunity to do a clean up on my 2010 MBA so I did clean install myself. There weren't much to copy and backup as I had pretty much of my work and stuff on a central server storage. :D Happy days thou a bit disappointed that some new features won't be available on the MBA. :mad:

Advertisement