Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Course

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I'll be doing my LC this next year so decisions about college will have to be made. I know that music is my passion, and what I enjoy, so it would be my obvious choice to study at third level education.
    However, from looking at the syllabus for the music course at NUIM, it seems that everything is based on classical music, which is a bit of a pain, as it wouldn't be my favourite genre, but I'd put up with it. I plan on studying it as a BA, taking the group piano module. However, what I have more of a problem with is the mandatory ensemble membership, as I am primarily a singer, but the only vocal ensembles are the Chamber Choir & Choral Society - I'm not classically trained etc. (And also having to juggle a part-time job most likely!)
    I've heard nothing but good reviews from music students at NUIM, but of course they could have different musical interests to me.
    So, I was wondering if any NUIM music students would have any advice to give to prospective music students, on choosing this course and determining whether coming from a classical music background (or not) makes much of a difference in terms of doing well.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Not sure if you already know this or not, but the Chamber Choir is the only choir you have to audition for, if you fail that then you use the Choral Society as your backup. So if your issue is getting into an ensemble, you've nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AdamCee

I was aware of the auditioning process for the Chamber Choir, however my concern lies more so on the fact that I don't come from a background of classical music, and am not too keen on having to join a choir, as it is not necessarily something I am interested in, and also the fact the Choral Society takes up two evenings a week would be a tad annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

It was a bit annoying at times but usually it was a bit of craic, what most people did was just head out afterwards. Thursday's the usual night for heading out in Maynooth anyway so it worked out well :)

Well when you put it that way it doesn't sound as bad haha.
    Would being part of an ensemble put the student at a disadvantage in terms of study though, due to missing pretty much two evenings a week?
    (Sorry if I'm asking too many questions by the way!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hi there,

I really wouldn't worry at all about ensemble membership. You will learn so much from it and will not believe how it brings on your sight reading. Yes, there are grumblings about the two evenings a week at times, but it's really not for that long.

Choral society starts with a few weeks of two nights a week to get a solid run at the major work to be performed at the end of the year. It then scales back to one night a week for about a month, before returning to two nights a week for the run up to the carol services.

You will not be in college for the whole of January, and the end of year performance tends to be at the beginning of April, at which point it's all over!

The carol services, and end of year performances (with professional singers and orchestra) are such amazing experiences, it makes it all worth it. I don't want to gush too much about the director (as he would hate that) but any musical journey with him at the helm will stay with you for life!

Don't rule out chamber choir just because you have no training. Pop along to the audition if you feel it would be for you. Be aware though, that just because it's only one night a week doesn't make it less demanding. With only 2-3 voices per part, you'd better know your stuff each week. Going for it was the best decision I made in college, as I was thrown in at the deep end big time!

Happy singing!

• Advertisement

Thanks sadie06 for such a detailed response!
    It's good to hear that the ensembles aren't the boredom I was expecting, and although I wouldn't have much of an interest in choral singing, or singing in that genre at all, I could definitely learn a thing or two from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

brace yourself though, mondays *will* be tough, mondays are generally the busiest days in college, especially for music for some reason.

I done bmus and in second year my mondays were basically geting the bus at 8 in the morning and getting home round 10 at night , with a pretty full day of lectures followed by choir, if you arent commuting obviously wont be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

you should look into the gospel choir. there were a few people in my year who managed to sign up for it. it's only on one night a week and is probably a bit more light hearted than the large choir. Make sure you put your name down straight away because it's very popular with limited places!

The gospel choir has nothing to do with the music department and is not an approved ensemble for the course unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

it was an approved ensemble when i was there two years ago. some of my classmates did it because they didn't live in maynooth and couldn't travel back from the other choir two nights a week. it was accepted then but the policy could have changed

• Advertisement

cliona88 wrote: »
    it was an approved ensemble when i was there two years ago. some of my classmates did it because they didn't live in maynooth and couldn't travel back from the other choir two nights a week. it was accepted then but the policy could have changed

I find that very hard to believe. Are you sure you are not thinking of the Ladies' Choir, which is open to first year girls? I've just left, so would have crossed over with you, and it 100% was/is not an approved ensemble, and has no affiliation to the department. I can't see the music department bending the rules for individuals (who would have read about the commitment before they chose the subject) as they would then have no grounds to deny dozens of other commuters the same concession.

Thanks for all the responses!
    Yeah, I've heard that Monday's tend to be VERY busy for music students, lucky me (that's if I get the course!)
    I've never actually heard about there being a gospel choir as one of the approved ensembles myself, but if there was I would really like that - much more than the choral society or chamber choir. I fully understand that classical music is the basis of music, however it isn't the performance genre of some students, which is a shame. Here's to hoping by next year things will be different! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Mondays are manic music days.
    Group piano is very fun and its an easy way to meet people in college.
    Choral society pretty cool too. Unfortunately you wont get to experience the awesome tutelage of Grand Master FunkyP in the tenors section but i'm sure his replacement is up to scratch ;)
    And just as a heads up please make sure you have a bow-tie for the recitals....that is a must
    And i dont come from a classical music background (or even a sight reading one for that matter :P ) but just download the pieces and follow along in your score and it'll all start to click i promise :)

Thanks jpcarlow!
    It would have been nice to have experienced the amazing Grand Master FunkyP but what do you know? Yours truly is also a tenor, I promise to carry the torch! (In whatever way that is haha)
    It's nice to know not all students are from a classical music background as it is a little discouraging at times when you're up against those with grade 8 this and that blah blah blah.
    I'm looking forward to hopefully studying music in college, sounds like something I'll enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I came from a metal background now I'm doing an MA in composition,
    so they're not too similar(depending on what kind of music you write though)... but I did get a high 2.1 in my B.Mus. not a grand 1st like funky p did ;)

So don't worry if you don't seem to fit in with the 'classical' types, 9/10 times they listen to all the same music as you do, or even stuff you'd never guess.
    So yeah, music in NUIM is el brill.

jpcarlow wrote: »
    And just as a heads up please make sure you have a bow-tie for the recitals....that is a must

Unless of course you are a talented artist capable of fashioning a paper bow tie, as one resourceful young man did last year!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

sadie06 wrote: »
    Unless of course you are a talented artist capable of fashioning a paper bow tie, as one resourceful young man did last year!:)
    haha that too :P
    AdamCee wrote: »
    Thanks jpcarlow!
    It would have been nice to have experienced the amazing Grand Master FunkyP but what do you know? Yours truly is also a tenor, I promise to carry the torch! (In whatever way that is haha)
    It's nice to know not all students are from a classical music background as it is a little discouraging at times when you're up against those with grade 8 this and that blah blah blah.
    I'm looking forward to hopefully studying music in college, sounds like something I'll enjoy!
    Ah tenors is the most fun section, something about using higher voices than the other men that makes people lighthearted sure :P

Ah i know the feeling with regards to Grades and that, i never had any of those. It's all just a matter of putting in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I'm in the Gospel choir and we aren't affiliated with the department. We have nothing to do with the department, apart from the fact that some of our members are studying Music, which doesn't really matter!!

The gospel choir is just the best fun though. I love spending three hours every week with my friends, two hours of singing and three of just so much fun!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

Hi there,

I studied music to BA level and Classical music is my thing. It's a difficult subject and if you're just not into parts of the course I reckon you're going to hate it. I certainly would be seeking advice from a school guidance counsellor.
    Have you looked at other courses where you're offered a different type of degree? I strongly recommend that and they're out there, especially in Dublin.

You'll be studying Romantic Harmonies, I remember studying Brahms Concertos, fugues and all my performance work was Classical. There was soe fun light hearted modules to that i loved. If you're not mad about Classical type music it might not be for you.
    You could also ring the music secretary and have an informal chat about the course, she knows it inside out, knows how things are examined and might refer you to speak to one of the lecturers.

Best of luck in what ever choice you make, but making the wrong one just to put up with it could be disastrous?

Hi all,

I'll be doing my LC this next year so decisions about college will have to be made. I know that music is my passion, and what I enjoy, so it would be my obvious choice to study at third level education.
    However, from looking at the syllabus for the music course at NUIM, it seems that everything is based on classical music, which is a bit of a pain, as it wouldn't be my favourite genre, but I'd put up with it. I plan on studying it as a BA, taking the group piano module. However, what I have more of a problem with is the mandatory ensemble membership, as I am primarily a singer, but the only vocal ensembles are the Chamber Choir & Choral Society - I'm not classically trained etc. (And also having to juggle a part-time job most likely!)
    I've heard nothing but good reviews from music students at NUIM, but of course they could have different musical interests to me.
    So, I was wondering if any NUIM music students would have any advice to give to prospective music students, on choosing this course and determining whether coming from a classical music background (or not) makes much of a difference in terms of doing well.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

It forms an integral part of the course, you're not allowed miss it?

I was aware of the auditioning process for the Chamber Choir, however my concern lies more so on the fact that I don't come from a background of classical music, and am not too keen on having to join a choir, as it is not necessarily something I am interested in, and also the fact the Choral Society takes up two evenings a week would be a tad annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Quigsmire

I'm not sure which course you picked? Here in Dundalk, we have to attend choir, its mandatory, but you have a wide range of ensembles, from Guitar, (we played with Maynooth last year, as David Stalling conducts both) to Orchestra, Trad, (very strong trad ensemble, if thats your thing) to Musical theatre. You major in third year, tech, comp, Ethnomusicology, Solo perf, etc etc. I have heard good things about you guys in Maynooth, and in Cork Obviously, but haven't heard anything from DCU, or Waterford. Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 andrewgally

I know this is a long shot, but..what are the audition processes like for the ensembles? Do we chose our own pieces to perform? For the Trad ensemble do we chose our own tunes? etc.

Advertisement