Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colpermin

Options
  • 25-07-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering is anyone else on here taking colpermin long term for IBS? Because I find that I have a constant taste of mint in my mouth and it's really not pleasant. And also.. other things smell like mint too! If anyone else has this happen do ye have any tips to keep the mint taste at bay? It's driving me mad! (also taking colofac at the same time, I think I might just stick to them and get rid of all the mint ones :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

When are you taking it? I used to take it, and i currently take fish oils for Omega. If i have a hot drink soon after, or before taking them i taste fish (and used to be mint!). The heat from the drinks, or hot foods, can release the coating faster and the taste becomes stronger. Never pleasant to belch and taste fish! (sorry for graphics there!). Maybe avoid having hot drinks for an hour or so either side of taking them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I take them 3 times a day, always an hour before ingesting anything. I find it worse in the mornings when the mint has been sitting in my stomach all night :( I'm due an endo/colon scope, ultrasound and bloods soon so I may bring it up then to see is there anything I can take to stop the taste! I was thinking of taking charcoal tablets or something but I don't know anything about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marann

I found colpermin good but you must be careful how you take it. If you are tasting it it is definitely not going where it is meant to go.The capsule format is to keep it intact until it reaches the colon, if it pops in the upper digestive tract you will taste it and that is not good. try not to take it within an hour before or after food and not with a hot drink. I used to take it a bit before bedtime with lots of water and it would work for next day. I found ibs meds work better as prevention rather than cure.Sometimes I couldnt find an hour when I hadn't eaten and think maybe thats why I had ibs, never stopped grazing!M, :pac:

Advertisement