Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seapoint Drowning Tragedies of 1807

Options
  • 25-07-2012 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Being an avid Joe Duffy listener my ears pricked up when some weeks back he started to discuss the Seapoint tragedy - as it happened it was not the tragedy that I expected and concerned the death by accidental food poisoning of several members of the same family. The tragedy that I knew of but had filed away in the dim and dusty memory banks of my brain was on a monumental scale compared to the sad food poisoning case.

On the 19th November 1807 two Royal Navy troop carrying ships transporting soldiers from Dublin to England for service in the Penisular War in Spain were wrecked in Dublin Bay. "The Prince of Wales" and "The Rochdale" were wrecked at Blackrock and Seapoint respectively and the losses were enormous - at least 120 officers and men on "The Prince of Wales" and 260 (including women and children) on "The Rochdale". In both cases the ships ran aground virtually on the shore but in the storm force conditions it must have been total mayhem. Spare them a thought the next time you wizz past the Seapoint Martello Tower on the DART - "The Rochdale" ran aground almost against the tower and yet there were no survivors.

seapoint.jpg

More here: http://mii.mariner.ie/history/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm

Advertisement