Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameDock - iPhone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, aren't there already devices/cables that let you output the onscreen activity on the iphone onto a tv?
    And the rest is then just a controller interface.
    Strikes me that an iCade controller set up and the right cable will have you in a similar situation.
    Will the Gamedock be limited to it's own game store?

Just checked there are a couple of apps on Cydia that will let you use an after market cable to pipe the entire screen display to a TV, after that you just use an iCade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, aren't there already devices/cables that let you output the onscreen activity on the iphone onto a tv?
    Strikes me that an iCade controller set up and the right cable will have you in a similar situation.

Are there really any mobile phone games that are worth bothering with? Can people not just use consoles? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How do you mean, it has no affiliation with GAME if that's what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are there really any mobile phone games that are worth bothering with? Can people not just use consoles? :o

There's an awful lot of excellent games on iOS at this stage. More and more are making good use of the touch interface too, such as Groove Coaster.

http://groovecoaster.com/en/feature.html

It's the natural home of the point and click genre too, after the PC.

The great stuff is of course swamped by shovelware but then again so was the DS and PS2. And it's not like the quality stuff is unobtainable as a result, a quick search will throw them up.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The two player aspect is what makes it.. Also, it works for all games on the iPhone, it's not just a retro emulator

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    The two player aspect is what makes it..

I was just about to amend my post to include that, that certainly makes it appealing to me anyway. Will it work for all iPhone games or just iCade compatible ones? The kickstarter page says iCade only

ghostchant wrote: »
    I was just about to amend my post to include that, that certainly makes it appealing to me anyway. Will it work for all iPhone games or just iCade compatible ones? The kickstarter page says iCade only
    Sorry, you're right.. I read it wrong :(

I was hoping I could play Minecraft PE with this :(

Sorry, you're right.. I read it wrong :(

I was hoping I could play Minecraft PE with this :(

If you jailbreak you can increase the iCade compatibility list, and by extension compatibility for this I presume. Minecraft is included in that. Though unless you use a usb controller with more buttons than the one this thing ships with you'll be relatively limited in what you can do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I like my gadgets and am not afraid to spend a few quid on something if it looks interesting to me but man this thing is way overpriced for what it is.
    A basic pcb inside a dock with 2 USB inputs and a HDMI out, not worth $125 plus $20 shipping.
    I'd pay at most 40-50 euro for this, maybe 60.

The OUYA is only $99 plus $20 shipping to Ireland. Much better value if you ask me and there will be plenty of retro games and emulators on the OUYA as well as more modern stuff.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Wondering if I could Mod a PI to do this.. just without the cool fancy housing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not convinced at all by that OUYA device/pipe-dream.

There's also this yoke, the Droid X360, an Android 4.0 based tablet inside a Vita look-a-like shell.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I like my gadgets and am not afraid to spend a few quid on something if it looks interesting to me but man this thing is way overpriced for what it is.
    A basic pcb inside a dock with 2 USB inputs and a HDMI out, not worth $125 plus $20 shipping.
    I'd pay at most 40-50 euro for this, maybe 60.

The OUYA is only $99 plus $20 shipping to Ireland. Much better value if you ask me and there will be plenty of retro games and emulators on the OUYA as well as more modern stuff.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Bit pricy alright. Mind you they include a hdmi adaptor in the price which Apple are happy to charge $39 for on its own.

I'm not sure about the Ouya, mainly because I don't know what games it'll offer me that the Steam, XBL, PSN and VC services don't already. But worse-case scenario it'll be a reasonable media centre and maybe an emulation device.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Bit pricy alright. Mind you they include a hdmi adaptor in the price which Apple are happy to charge $39 for on its own.

I'm not sure about the Ouya, mainly because I don't know what games it'll offer me that the Steam, XBL, PSN and VC services don't already. But worse-case scenario it'll be a reasonable media centre and maybe an emulation device.

Yeah, it's just another gadget we don't really need but I'm interested in it for the hackability etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How do you mean, it has no affiliation with GAME if that's what you mean

It seems like it is relatively limited in the amount of game titles it can control, not to mention the insistence of using retro controllers, not only is that limiting but you might as well be playing emus on a PC with them.

And, no, of course I'm not suggesting any "affiliation" with Game, I'm suggesting you'll either have a short list of compatible games, like the icade disappointingly has, or they'll create a sub list of titles available within iTunes, akin to what Atari were doing, again, with the Icade.

It seems like it is relatively limited in the amount of game titles it can control, not to mention the insistence of using retro controllers, not only is that limiting but you might as well be playing emus on a PC with them.

And, no, of course I'm not suggesting any "affiliation" with Game, I'm suggesting you'll either have a short list of compatible games, like the icade disappointingly has, or they'll create a sub list of titles available within iTunes, akin to what Atari were doing, again, with the Icade.

At least if you jailbreak iOS the iCade supports whatever games you want it to.
    SoulCalibur runs well on the iCade but doesn't support it until you jailbreak.

The controllers are USB though, I'm assuming that you could use PS2/PS3/xbox etc... Another selling point!

I agree the price is very expensive, but the idea is cool :)

Advertisement