Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port /Whiskey /Wine as Christening Present

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    i'm looking for advise on a good wine/whiskey/port to get for my sons christening. idea is to drink it when he's 21, please god.

i know whiskey wont improve with age in a bottle, am i right there?
    i also want to pick up something for my other son who's 4, thinking port or wine there as i'd know a good year by now? born 2008.

so any ideas welcome on a good whiskey this year & a good bottle of 2008 port or wine, much appreciated,
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He'll hardly be a connoisseur at 21 you could probably get him some fat frog and put it in storage for him.
    I think Jameson do a bottle where they put the name and age on it, that would probably do the trick.

Best present you can get an guy is the playboy from the year and month they were born, won't go down well with mammy but who needs to tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

If you are looking to buy Port, Wine or Whiskey made in the year of his birth you are probably better off waiting a few years for wine and much longer for Port and Whiskey. With wine and port you also ned to be sure that the wine is of sufficient quality that it will keep (in the proper storage condition).

However if you want to put something away now for posterity the best and safest bet is possibly a Midleton 2012. It holds and increases fairly solidly in value over the years and if he does not like whiskey at 21 he can sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

get some vintage champagne from the year they were born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

My parents got me a bottle of port from the year I was born. It's currently at several times the value it was purchased at. Unfortunately, in my youth, I was never a big fan of wines/port/spirits. When I turned 18/21/25 and every other life event that one would expect to pop open a bottle of something expensive and throw it away, I had the sense to put it away and save it for when it'd be appreciated.

It's a really nice gesture, and something I'm looking forward to opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

He'll hardly be a connoisseur at 21 you could probably get him some fat frog and put it in storage for him...
    But the liquor isn't for junior. The Auld Lad is planning on getting locked at the 21st when the child hasn't even been baptised yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement