Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is best to live if studying UCC?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, just looking for some info from current GEM students in UCC about where is best to live around the college?

Once it's confirmed that I'll be heading to UCC I'll be making a trip down to try find a house. Anyone interested in sharing? 3 or 4 bed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

I might well be joining you down in Cork, have 59 so hoping for UCD so I don't have to pay rent but if I get Cork I'd be interested in a house share with other GEM students!

No info on Cork as of yet but will get cracking if and when an offer comes my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

If it's of help I confirmed with UCC that Gradmed entrants can apply for the Postgrad accomodation at Dennehy's Cross. Really dear but looks lush and quite near the Health Centre supposedly. I'm tempted to go for it for 1st year as I don't know the city at all and it might work out easier. Max 3 people per apartment too so should be fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Palo Alto wrote: »
    If it's of help I confirmed with UCC that Gradmed entrants can apply for the Postgrad accomodation at Dennehy's Cross. Really dear but looks lush and quite near the Health Centre supposedly. I'm tempted to go for it for 1st year as I don't know the city at all and it might work out easier. Max 3 people per apartment too so should be fairly quiet.

Quite nice too and very close to Brookfield, WGB and CUH. Also there's a Tesco express right underneath…how handy is that?!

Most GEM1s stay in Shears gate (which is where the majority of your North American buddies will be staying). If you are looking for a house share on daft.ie look at Glasheen, Wilton, Western Rd., Sundayswell areas as they are all near to UCC.

Best of luck with the offers and hopefully will see you guys soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DraughtHorse

Poppo4 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some info from current GEM students in UCC about where is best to live around the college?

Once it's confirmed that I'll be heading to UCC I'll be making a trip down to try find a house. Anyone interested in sharing? 3 or 4 bed.

Poppo4 how is your search going? Are you still looking for ppl? I have the same hope. House of 4 mixed living somewhere close like Sunday's well. I'll be heading for cork in less than a fortnight to sort it out. I also have to message a girl from boards back re the same. Price I'm looking for is anywhere from 300 to 400, house rather than apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Poppo4

Hi, sorry I've given up my search in Cork as I got offered UCD in the first round! Didn't think it was gonna happen! Best of luck guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Hi all looks like Cork for me. Anyone interested in sharing an apartment, looking to pay in the region of 300-400 euro. Also looking at Dennehy's Cross student apartment but don't know if I have missed the boat on that.

Quick bio - Male (23) from Dublin. Will have a car if this helps with any commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ciara84

Hi all looks like Cork for me. Anyone interested in sharing an apartment, looking to pay in the region of 300-400 euro. Also looking at Dennehy's Cross student apartment but don't know if I have missed the boat on that.

Quick bio - Male (23) from Dublin. Will have a car if this helps with any commute.
    car wont help you with things, its hard to get parking near UCC, so either get something on one of the bus routes (232 is one, maybe 9, 5 and 14, but not 100% on those) or else something walking distance, I dont study medicine there but I'm from cork and went there for my undergrad, also, I think the HS building is a bit of a walk from the bus routes as its at the back (college road), near Bons.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

ciara84 wrote: »
    car wont help you with things, its hard to get parking near UCC, so either get something on one of the bus routes (232 is one, maybe 9, 5 and 14, but not 100% on those) or else something walking distance, I dont study medicine there but I'm from cork and went there for my undergrad, also, I think the HS building is a bit of a walk from the bus routes as its at the back (college road), near Bons.

Hi Ciara thanks for the reply. How early do the car parks fill up around UCC? I was onto a lady at Dennehy's and she said there may be still rooms available, do you know if there is private parking for on campus residents? Would probably prefer to live off campus for money but this parking situation could swing things.

There is parking at Dennehy's, it looks to be only about 0.5km from the Health Centre too so a short walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Nanorman

Hey, just about UCC. I am only free during the Student Health centre's lunch hours so can't get through but just wondering if anyone has completed the Health Screening. It is pretty clear but just for peace of mind, my doctor only checks my titres and does not give me any shots/vaccinations. This is done by the school, they look at what I require then give me the appropriate shot correct? Thanks! :)

I finish work this Saturday!

FYI The UCC loans lady I have be corresponding with is on annual leave next week if you need to call her this week!

• Advertisement

Nanorman wrote: »
    Hey, just about UCC. I am only free during the Student Health centre's lunch hours so can't get through but just wondering if anyone has completed the Health Screening. It is pretty clear but just for peace of mind, my doctor only checks my titres and does not give me any shots/vaccinations. This is done by the school, they look at what I require then give me the appropriate shot correct? Thanks! :)

I finish work this Saturday!

FYI The UCC loans lady I have be corresponding with is on annual leave next week if you need to call her this week!

That's what I'm doing, I only got the letter up in Belfast the other day so going tomorrow to get my immunoglobulin checked for Hep B (was inocculated years ago but they forgot to record it on file!!)

Same with chicken pox, I've had it but it wasn't recorded.

Planning on getting bloods then getting the results forwarded in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Nanorman

Palo Alto wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing, I only got the letter up in Belfast the other day so going tomorrow to get my immunoglobulin checked for Hep B (was inocculated years ago but they forgot to record it on file!!)

Same with chicken pox, I've had it but it wasn't recorded.

Planning on getting bloods then getting the results forwarded in a few weeks.

Great, thanks for the response. I wanted to have a second opinion before I called my GP tomorrow telling her just to sign off my sheet (already did bloods) and UCC will sort me out when I arrive. It would be mad to charge us €225 and give us nothing but still wanted to hear the general consensus :P
    I'll be seeing you next Friday Palo Alto :D

Advertisement