Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Aid Locations

Options
  • 25-07-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Long story short the other party has legal aid in my area so they wont give it to me here. They sent me a letter with locations but I have not got a clue on any of them. Can someone pinpoint the location on google maps of the one in preferably Waterford for me. I barely have the money to get there so I don't want to have to make 2 trips. Also 2 or 3 days after I got this letter I get another one from the other parties solicitor saying because they have had no reply they are taking me to court in September, What can I do about that? I'm going to Citizens Information at 10 when they open, But I just wanted to ask here for advice on what steps to take and mainly the location.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

They sent you a letter with locations but you don't know them ? Ring around the locations and get directions .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

There are full time law centres. A list is here:

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/Publishing.nsf/Content/Law_Centres

If you click on a county it will give you a link to a map.

There are also part time law centres:

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/Publishing.nsf/Content/Contact_Det_Part_Time

The one in Waterford is located at: Canada House, Canada Street, Waterford.

It is located near the people's park.

Does the letter say that you are eligible for legal aid? You need to get a letter from the legal aid board saying that you have applied for legal aid and you are waiting to hear from them. This will (hopefullly) allow you to get an adjournment in your case if it is before the court in September.

Maybe ring the head office of the legal aid board and ask them what you need to do now if you are unsure. Maybe also contact a FLAC centre in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silvertree

Doff wrote: »
    Long story short the other party has legal aid in my area so they wont give it to me here. They sent me a letter with locations but I have not got a clue on any of them. Can someone pinpoint the location on google maps of the one in preferably Waterford for me. I barely have the money to get there so I don't want to have to make 2 trips. Also 2 or 3 days after I got this letter I get another one from the other parties solicitor saying because they have had no reply they are taking me to court in September, What can I do about that? I'm going to Citizens Information at 10 when they open, But I just wanted to ask here for advice on what steps to take and mainly the location.

Thank you.

Hi there
    You might also have a look at FLAC's guide to the legal aid process - it's at http://bit.ly/CLAflacsheet - and there's a short version available too. Might be useful. Good luck with your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aurellia

I am wondering how you got on Doff? I represented myself last year 7 times for arrears , and case closed in Jan & its exhausting, Ex has a solicitor in my town through Legal Aid. I've applied for Legal Aid as want to go back to Court in Sept. Am i to expect to need one from another County?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Aurellia wrote: »
    I am wondering how you got on Doff? I represented myself last year 7 times for arrears , and case closed in Jan & its exhausting, Ex has a solicitor in my town through Legal Aid. I've applied for Legal Aid as want to go back to Court in Sept. Am i to expect to need one from another County?!

The only issue is if your wife is using the local legal aid office and not the private practitioner scheme then you cannot use the same legal aid office. You may then have to be assessed at another office and then if accepted more than likely you will be allowed to use a private solicitor, from your local town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Unfortunately Waterford don't have a representative in my county so I have to go to Portlaoise next week as they do. I did receive my application back with all the forms photocopied and I was told I would be accepted so its just a matter of going there now.

Advertisement