Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€110 to unlock UK iphone??

Options
  • 25-07-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey all,

I bought a second hand iphone 4 in the place across from DIT Aungier Street.

They put a gevey sim card in it to unlock it & it worked OK until recently.

Now it has totally stopped working & I'm told I will need to pay €110 to get it officially unlocked as it's a UK phone??

Surely there's a cheaper way.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Louis
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's about the going rate. I'm guessing you updated it and blocked the gevey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Can you not just go back into that shop or similar shop and get a new version of gevey (FYI have no idea what that is, could be talking c*ap)

I assume is software used to unlock iPhones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

you may get it done a little cheaper from here
    I think the Gevey ultra works on 5.1.1 with the latest baseband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are they selling stolen phones?

smash wrote: »
    Wy would you think it was stolen. Op if it's O2 uk get a uk sim and top up £15 and they will unlock it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A sim lock has nothing to do with whether a phone is stolen or not. If it's stolen it will be blacklisted and work with no sim in the country it was stolen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

I had understood that only official carriers could get phones unlocked?

guil wrote: »
    Wy would you think it was stolen. Op if it's O2 uk get a uk sim and top up £15 and they will unlock it
    gpf101 wrote: »
    A sim lock has nothing to do with whether a phone is stolen or not. If it's stolen it will be blacklisted and work with no sim in the country it was stolen in.

Wasn't it mentioned a few days ago that if a phone has a sim lock, it can still be used abroad?

And why would it work, and then just stop working again?

If it's sim locked it will only work on the carrier it's sim locked to.

It probably stopped working because it was updated to a later unsupported baseband or the Gevey packed up.

Wasn't it mentioned a few days ago that if a phone has a sim lock, it can still be used abroad?

And why would it work, and then just stop working again?
    No what I said was if a phone was a blacklisted or network barred it could be used in a different country that it was originally from.

Sim lock on the the other hand means it can only be used on the original network.

How do you still not know the difference

• Advertisement

I'd be bringing it back to the shop. They should be unlocking them before selling them to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'd be bringing it back to the shop. They should be unlocking them before selling them to be honest!

Why?!

jenno86 wrote: »
    Why?!
    Well I guess the consumer information act or goods and service act would be in breach considering "must be fit for purpose" is not what you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Well I guess the consumer information act or goods and service act would be in breach considering "must be fit for purpose" is not what you're buying.

Hmmm...not sure about that in these cases. Given that unlocking phones from a network is probably somewhat of a grey area legally speaking, I'm not sure how successful you would be quoting consumer law at such enterprises...

tallpaul wrote: »
    Hmmm...not sure about that in these cases. Given that unlocking phones from a network is probably somewhat of a grey area legally speaking, I'm not sure how successful you would be quoting consumer law at such enterprises...
    What do you mean by 'such enterprises'? Are you referring to the shop that sold the phone? Because all business transactions are covered under the sale of goods and supply of services act. It's not fit for purpose, like buying a car and then the dealer saying you have to pay extra for an engine after you've made the transaction!

Thats different. The phone was fit for use when the op got it and I'd imagine they were told updating it would stop it working

Thats different. The phone was fit for use when the op got it and I'd imagine they were told updating it would stop it working
    OP never said he updated it.

No what I said was if a phone was a blacklisted or network barred it could be used in a different country that it was originally from.

Sim lock on the the other hand means it can only be used on the original network.

How do you still not know the difference

That's what I said. Sim lock and it will only on the original carriers network unless it's unlocked.

If it's barred by the network it will not work on any network in the country it was barred in unless the network unblacklist it. It will however work outside the country.

Have a look at what your replying to before you reply.

That's what I said. Sim lock and it will only on the original carriers network unless it's unlocked.

If it's barred by the network it will not work on any network in the country it was barred in unless the network unblacklist it. It will however work outside the country.

Have a look at what your replying to before you reply.
    my reply wasn't directed at you, i spent half an afternoon trying to explain that to smash a few days ago in another thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Louis_Louis

thanks for the replies everyone.

re topping up by £15, 02 UK will just automatically unlock it when I top up? why? seems a bit strange but would be cool if that was the case.

to answer some other posts.

I didn't update it, I gather the gevey just died.

They kept quiet about the unreliability of gevey sims when I bought it, and didn't mention the €110 cost of getting it properly unlocked.

The shop I got it in is actually under new ownership. Well, it's the same guy working there who I bought the phone off originally, but they've changed the name on the sign! ...... just a tiny bit dodge

• Advertisement

yeah if you have £15 credit on the sim you can apply for the unlock, this is only with o2 uk though

sweet, and they'll do it for free?

i think they charge £15 credit to do it

i think they charge £15 credit to do it

excellent, thanks for the info!

Advertisement