Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer starting on and off on it's own.

Options
  • 25-07-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Okay, story is that I bought a desktop off a friend and at the start it was fine. Then it started to randomly shut down for no reason. Wasn't playing a game or running anything intensive. Was just looking at an open browser. Then it got worse, it would just turn off without properly shutting down and a few seconds later, it would try to power on without me turning it on. Yet again, it would get worse, went to turning on and maybe a beep would come out and just die again.

I then replaced the all the RAM and even got a higher PSU.
    http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600.html
    That's the one I got.

For several months, the problem was solved but now, it's back. Thought it was dust related so I dusted the entire unit and still the problem is there.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what is wrong?

Specs are 3 gig ram.
    PSU as listed above.
    Running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
    Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 8600.
    Can't be sure about the other stuff now as I can't turn it on to check but pretty sure it's a low end i7 processor.

Any help would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmmm, I would have said dodge PSU, but you dealt with that.

Possible crap power switch? What case?

Try running Prime95 and Furmark in case it would be instability reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PurpleCloudz

Hmmm, that maybe hard to do. Computer doesn't stay on very long. Barely gets the beep from the board and crashes.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PurpleCloudz

ED E wrote: »
    Hmmm, I would have said dodge PSU, but you dealt with that.

Possible crap power switch? What case?

Try running Prime95 and Furmark in case it would be instability reboots.
    You're right, it was the power switch, changed the switch with the rest button and it's working fine now. Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Glad you got it sorted.

Advertisement