Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL COURSE in Dublin

Options
  • 24-07-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have recently come back from Spain and have been inspired to learn Spanish and begin a TEFL Course so i can go back and work!
    as i look into it i notice there is offline/online ways of completing the course. Can anyone shed light on which one is best or is it a combination of both of them that you need?
    Also can almost anyone be able to do it? is it difficult job to do?
    and where in dublin is the best place to get the cert. for TEFL and for learning spanish?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If you have no teaching experience, it's better to do a TEFL that has classroom practice as part of it. Don't worry about it being difficult. If you do the TEFL course, they'll prepare you for everything and, even then, the majority of what you learn as teacher starts when you step into your first real class.

You can also try a group called Vaughan languages. They don't require any experience and they offer their own training if they hire you. I know they were looking for people around this time last year. I applied and was able to do the interview in Dublin. Unfortunately, I didn't get it.

Also, if you're looking to learn Spanish, I'd wait 'til you get over there to start lessons. It'd probably be cheaper and you might even get work for a school that will offer free lessons, this happened to me in the Czech Republic.

Best of luck, Spain's a fantastic place to live. I'm planning on making my way back there at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DiscoverIreland

That helps heaps. Thanks a mill. I guess what I could do is take out the linguaphone and learn from that till I get over there.
    Your feedback is v.poditive and has saturated a lot of my nerves about taking on a teaching course. I have noticed since though that there is a variety of hours you can cover for the TEFL.
    Whether its 140/130/120 hrs. Is more better in this case?
    Thanks again
    Roll on next yr.

I think the most important thing is the amount of hours of teaching practice you get.

If the 140 hour course is, for example, 100 hours theory and 40 practice and the 120 one is 100 hours theory and 20 practice, then I'd stump for the 140. I'm not sure if that's how they do it, though.

I did my TEFL in Prague and it was just a four-week course, there wasn't any mention of hours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DiscoverIreland

Here's a sample breakdown of the 140-hour TEFL Course
    Course fee: €429
    I was told it would take about 6mths prob. As I'm waking it around a full time job.

Weekend TEFL Course (20-hours)
    Online TEFL Course (50-hours)
    Grammar and Language Awareness Course (30-hours)
    Video Observation Course (20-hours)
    Telephone Teaching Course (10-hours)
    Teaching Large Classes (10-hours)

Where have you used the TEFL and is it more about the experience than making money?
    Thanks for the prompt reply

I think that'd be ok, like I said the most important thing for an inexperienced teacher is to at least have some classroom experience and there's plenty of that in there so you should be fine.

For me, it's been about the experience. I was in the Czech Republic for a year and haven in Brazil for a month now. Though, in Brazil, getting a permanent visa is tricky so I may have to move on again in a few months time.

The money you get, for about 20-25 hours a week is enough to live comfortably on, too, so that's not anything to worry about, just make sure you've enough saved up to cover the first two or three months as you'll only start on about 5-10 hours a week then work you way up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement