Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbit Kit, what do I need for my first tri?

Options
  • 24-07-2012 8:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Howya lads.

Doing my first tri in a months time and just wondering what I need.

Alreayd have the bike stuff (bike, shoes, helmet, shorts(?), etc) but wondering what else I'll need.

Have decent running shoes too so that's sorted.

Will I need a wetsuit?

I only wear boardshorts and a base layer (under armour type thing) when I go sea swimming in Galway in the summer and wore the same when swimming in the shannon back in Athlone.

Would I grand to just go into the water in tri-shorts or light cycle shorts and a base layer and then throw on a cycle jersey or dry base layer when i hop on the bike?

All advice welcome and appreciated!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wetsuits are usually mandatory for ow swims, you'll need to check. Otherwise you sound pretty sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Seaneh wrote: »
    Howya lads.

Doing my first tri in a months time and just wondering what I need.

Alreayd have the bike stuff (bike, shoes, helmet, shorts(?), etc) but wondering what else I'll need.

Have decent running shoes too so that's sorted.

Will I need a wetsuit?

I only wear boardshorts and a base layer (under armour type thing) when I go sea swimming in Galway in the summer and wore the same when swimming in the shannon back in Athlone.

Would I grand to just go into the water in tri-shorts or light cycle shorts and a base layer and then throw on a cycle jersey or dry base layer when i hop on the bike?

All advice welcome and appreciated!

I'd get a tri suit, its funny watching guys trying to put a jersey or t shirt on a wet body...........a tri suit saves time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd get a tri suit, its funny watching guys trying to put a jersey or t shirt on a wet body...........a tri suit saves time.

Except in a long distance race - a full zip jersey is a god send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Except in a long distance race - a full zip jersey is a god send.

over a tri defo !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You're already better equipped than most newbies.

Have a look at one of the charity races and see dozens in Lidl shorty wetsuits, cotton teeshirts and 10 year old steel mountain bikes, gears and brakes optional.

(This was my mate, not me, I had a brand new €150 hybrid and a polyester sleeveless t-shirt)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well I emailed the organisers and they said as it's a tri-ireland event wetsuits are mandatory.

Anyone know of a suit that's not too expensive that won't go in the bin straight away?

Does a tri suit count as a wetsuit?

Does a tri suit count as a wetsuit?
    Ha. Nice try. No. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Ha. Nice try. No. :)

Cheers, so you'd wear it under a wetsuit or something?

Does it have a chamois pad?

What's the benefit of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah, most people wear them under the wetsuit. (Long course guys may do a full change after the swim, I don't know much about that)

They have some padding but much lighter than a regular pair of bike shorts, less constrictive for running and quicker to dry after the swim.

The top has no sleeves so it's easier to swim in and easier to manage under a wetsuit.

There may be other advantages that I haven't thought of. I wear separate top and shorts since you don't have to soil yourself to answer the call of nature, it's also easier to get a good fit than a one-piece

• Advertisement

Yes you wear it from the start, under you wetsuit. They are easy to swim bike and run in, they dry quickly and they are very convenient, better than having to wriggle into a shirt and shorts. If you wear one get a number belt to attach your race number to.

They usually have a very light chamois, but you don't need a heavy one.

You can hire a wetsuit, or if you plan to do more tris you can get an entry level one for about 100 euro.

Advertisement