Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Traffic - Waze

Options
  • 24-07-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I saw a few users using this app in Galway (I'm using it myself)
    it gives life traffic info in Ireland: Waze
    http://www.waze.com/

It works on IPhone/Android (it’s available on the Google Play, I don’t know for IPhone) and the way it works is very simple: As you drive, the app calculate if there is traffic around you and share that with other users… And of course you get the update from other users too :)

It does work pretty well, but I guess it would need a bit more users... With 20 to 30 users, the map should be up to date at least at traffic time.

As it is a social app, the more users the better it works
    I’m not endorsed by any company to send that mail, I just like not being stuck for hours in traffic :)

It might become handy next week during the Galway Races…

Aurélien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimTazz

Hi,

I've been using this for a few weeks now. Since I have to cross the Galway city traffic on my to and from work. Since there are about 10 different routes I can use to get from Ballybrit to Salthill, this actually comes in quite handy. It will tell me where the traffic problems are I can avoid it by taking a different route.

But like you said already, the more people using it, the better it gets.
    Also, the app is free... So worth a try I'd say.

Regards,
    Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sniff.......hmmm, smells like shills!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blablack

I know it does :) but I really don't have any affiliation with it!

Only sharing an app that could help a few...

But don't get me wrong, it is a selfish act :) the more people use it, the better MY traffic info will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimTazz

Lol, I am actually using the app. Don't really see what me knowing or not knowing the OP has to do with anything.

The more people that use the app, the better it gets for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

zarquon wrote: »

Umm, its a free app... shills usually post for monetary gain ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

zarquon wrote: »
    They've nearly been registered for a year each. If they are shills they're a bit slow :).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm ok with this "shill" since it's totally free and also it shows the traffic around the city etc so is actually quite good.
    I use it myself to try to avoid traffic but it's more commonly used in big cities.

Note, this isn't an invitation to spam the forum with free apps :) This one is for traffic, the main grudge here. So anything to alleviate that is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've just started using Waze recently and find it very good.

I was using Skobbler's GPS Nav 2 which utilises maps from OpenStreetMaps, but they don't actually update their maps from OpenStreetMaps very often. All the recent great updates made by DaCor & others aren't appearing, so I think it's a waste of money.

Waze needs a bit of work on the local mapping, but its 'Pave Road' function should help resolve most issues. The traffic info is an excellent feature which will be enhanced once more people start using it.

If you do decide to use it to map new or unmapped roads, make sure you log onto http://world.waze.com rather than http://www.waze.com as the first link is the correct one for Irish edits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What about pedestrians?
    As I navigate, I want to make sure I don't run into any bottlenecks that cause me to break my stride.

dilallio wrote: »
    If you do decide to use it to map new or unmapped roads, make sure you log onto http://world.maze.com rather than http://www.maze.com as the first link is the correct one for Irish edits.
    world.waze.com rather than www.waze.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    What about pedestrians?
    As I navigate, I want to make sure I don't run into any bottlenecks that cause me to break my stride.

I'd avoid any roads with traffic lights then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

is this using your Data allowance. Imagine it would use rather a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Hi,
    The manner in which the first two posts were constructed along with the obvious fact they're both advertising the app made me laugh.

Regards,
    Jimothy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    What about pedestrians?

Interesting - it might mess it up as you might be quicker walking. If you used the app while cycling or in a bus that uses a bus lane at rush hour it would really mess with the data; unless they factor that in when doing the calculations?

is this using your Data allowance. Imagine it would use rather a lot.
    It does use data, I don't know how much as I'm on a free data plan myself.
    There are data monitors you can install on the phone to monitor.

I've seen some new wazers out there so someone might have started because of this thread.

biko wrote: »
    dilallio wrote: »
    If you do decide to use it to map new or unmapped roads, make sure you log onto http://world.maze.com rather than http://www.maze.com as the first link is the correct one for Irish edits.
    world.waze.com rather than www.waze.com
    Cheers Biko. Autocorrect can be bad especially when I don't read it before posting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I've started using this since I spotted this thread. I have to say, it hasn't affected my journeys in the slightest, probably because there's not enough people on it yet. It does eat my battery though! I'll have to get a new car charger if I want to keep using it

It is using your data allowance to find traffic info...
    I use around 5MB for a 10k drive.

Interesting - it might mess it up as you might be quicker walking. If you used the app while cycling or in a bus that uses a bus lane at rush hour it would really mess with the data; unless they factor that in when doing the calculations?

I would say it would.
    It seems to use your average speed against the speed limit to determinate traffic.

Interesting - it might mess it up as you might be quicker walking. ...
    :D Tis true

• Advertisement

blablack wrote: »
    It is using your data allowance to find traffic info...
    I use around 5MB for a 10k drive.

Looking at this page it seems people use aprox 50-70MB/month.
    I haven't actually measured but can do if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

blablack wrote: »
    It seems to use your average speed against the speed limit to determinate traffic.

That makes sense.Tom Tom define congested as drivers travelling at "70 per cent or less of the speed limit". For most of the year (winter morning, snow and torrential rain aside) if one is driving along at an average of 35km/h or higher within the city the roads are probably pretty free of traffic.

One problem I found out using Waze over the past few weeks in Galway is this:
    If you leave just before the traffic pics (from Ballybrit to Salthill - 4.20pm), I will be in the first ones on the road with Waze, and I'll be the one providing traffic updates for everyone else! :)

We are a few colleagues using it and living in the same area, it is now a game of waiting for one of us to go first back home and indicate traffic :)

So, how is this app working out these few months later?

It still lacks a few users I would say.
    I work in Parkmore East and live West Side - it helps after 8.30 am and after 5 pm (when enough users have already been on the road to build some data...)

Overall, although I cannot say I avoided 100% traffic, I am a lot less often in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I used it today to get from lower Salthill to Mervue @ 8:20AM & it helped me
    avoid slowdowns on College road & Bohermore.

I suppose if you were a regular commuter you would know the best routes
    but for me it was useful to avoid a delay on a route I don't often travel.

It does not seem to use much of my data allowance.

I use it quite a bit and find it ok - good.

If there were more people using it (which would give better traffic coverage), it would be much better.

It's improved now that the Galway maps have been updated a lot over the past few months.

Most of the streets and housing estates have been added, and recent updates to the maps should appear on the phone apps over the next week or so. These changes have updated the road names with meaningful information, so instead of getting an alert that traffic is busy on the R339 (which goes from Eyre Sq to 10 miles the far side of Monivea village), it will now tell you R339 College Rd, or R339 Wellpark Rd, etc.

One drawback of Waze is if you leave it running and pop into a shop for a few mins, it will determine that you are stuck in traffic, and update the traffic info. That's why it's a good idea to use the option on the app to Switch Off when you've stopped and will be away from the car for a few mins.

I find Galway to be a bit too small for Waze to be really useful.
    To get from A to B you often only have 2 routes to choose from, and when you've driven it a few times you know when and where there'll be traffic.

Advertisement