Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 7 Media Center issue

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a HTPC forum, but I think this is more a windows configuration problem...if there's a better place mods, move away :)

Basically I'm after installing a fresh Windows 7, after having to reformat due to a virus. The pc has six hard drives, with c: being obviously the OS partition, then the rest are purely for my media library.

I've taken ownership of all the files & folders in all the media drives, & assigned security permissions to both my username & usergroup. There are no other users or groups defined in the security permission tabs. I then created shortcuts to all my folder & placed said shortcuts in the \public videos folder [a location that Media Center will find them].

And it does indeed find them, or at least, the first ten of them. From there on, all the icons in media center are blank & it won't find or play anything in the blank folders. If I go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player" & delete everything in there, & then do a disk cleanup of c:\, indeed everything works again....until the next restart that is. Once the pc is restarted, I have to empty that folder again & do the cleanup, otherwise only the first few folders in MC will work.

I sometimes get messages about corrupted recycle bins on the media drives too while doing a disk cleanup. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Rather than placing shortcuts to your various folders in your libraries, you should add the folders as locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Torqay wrote: »
    Rather than placing shortcuts to your various folders in your libraries, you should add the folders as locations.

Tried that before when I moved to Win 7 from XP MCE...for some reason it didn't work & I seen on the Green Button forums, that adding a single folder with shortcuts works. And it did...for five years, until now :o

If it persists I'll try what you say & add the actual locations as opposed to shortcuts. Could my method of adding shortcuts be whats causing the problem at all? It's worked for me for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Have you done a full windows update since the fresh install? Could just be that the Media Centre files are outdated

Have you done a full windows update since the fresh install? Could just be that the Media Centre files are outdated

Yep fully updated & current :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Shoudl you not right click on the media folder and "share" them 'second tab', this would automatically place them in the public folder.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Shoudl you not right click on the media folder and "share" them 'second tab', this would automatically place them in the public folder.

I've the option to 'Share with...', who would I specify sharing with? Kinda doesn't explain why my setup works until I restart...it has to be a conflict/permission error or something as opposed to how or if the media is shared surely?

Advertisement