Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denmark

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

What do Danish people think of Irish people? Or do they have any opinion ? I know in France they warmed to me more when I said I was Irish, and not from our neighbours across the water. Is it the same in copenhagen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

My general view is that Scandinavians love all English-speaking people :pac:

I can't say for sure for Denmark, but I know in Sweden we love practicing our English, love it to bits! (unless we're shy - which happens) ... I don't think it would make any difference, in the way you're treated, whether you're English, Irish or American ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I never got much of a reaction one way or another in Denmark. In Norway though, the British would be more popular than the Irish, there's a very close bond between the the two countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭an langer

Great thanks a million guys! Good to know! :-)
    One final thing, should I say something in Danish rather than just speaking English straight away, 'undskyld, taler du engelsk?'
    I've listened to Pimsleur Danish course but obviously their English will be far more superior to my very basic Danish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Maybe more useful to say something like, "Undskyld, jeg forstår ikke Dansk, taler du Engelsk?"

Mange tak! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

In Copenhagen you will have no problem talking to people, they'll all jump at the chance to speak English and speaking as a Danish person who made quite a few Irish friends when I was living in Cph - before I moved to Ireland - I loved the accent :p

It might sound like a cliché but go the Dubliner on the main shopping street (Strøget), it was my favourite pub in Cph and I always had a good night out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

an langer wrote: »
    Mange tak! :-)
    Bare hyggelig skal det være en bayer å en lille en

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

It might sound like a cliché but go the Dubliner on the main shopping street (Strøget), it was my favourite pub in Cph and I always had a good night out there :)

The Dubliner is great!
    There are "twin" Dubliner pubs in Stockholm and Göteborg as well (same owner, same concept and that...). I adore the Dubliner pub in Göteborg :o:pac:

... they even have rté :)

Thanks a million for the suggestions. I'll definitely be calling into the dubliner now!!!! I'll also be in reykjavik where there is a pub called the 'dubliner' too, so it will be good to make some comparisons! :-)))

Advertisement