Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling for your retirement!

Options
  • 24-07-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18910560

Now this is some adventure! Fascinating man who must, I think, be in his 70s.

One or two interesting pics to me on the video - the guy supplying fuel from a drum via a funnel - got the teeshirt on that, (in Tanzania) except that in our case the guy was smoking a cigarette!

And the deeply trenched road - I travelled a road like that (maybe not quite as extreme) in a VW beetle in the late 60s. The Tanzam highway was being built at the time, parallel to the road we were on - which was called the 'Hell Run'. All fuel lorries into Zambia went from Dar es salaam via that route through Tanzania, which was what caused the deep ruts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What a guy! What a car! Money couldn't buy that kind of publicity. Doubt if himself would be up for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'd do something like that in the morning...if I could afford it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was thinking that - you would need a fair pension to do it, though he did say that he/they slept in the jeep and cooked for themselves, not like a holiday. Really they would only have fuel and basic living costs. You'd need to be a bit tough though, I think. You'd wonder how safe it would be to sleep in a jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

500,000 miles ?? That is one tough 4 X 4. No wonder G wagens are so pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I backpacked for a year around 1999/2000.

Most other backpackers were like me, in their twenties.

I remember one chap, a Canadian.

He was 62. If I recall rightly, he had recently been divorced and laid off from his job. SO he'd had a tough time of it.

Anyways, he said his logic for backpacking was that he couldnt afford to live back home on whatever social welfare was available.

So instead, he was renting his house out, and travelling around Asia on the proceeds for three years until he was old enough to claim his retirement pension.

Advertisement