Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics and mma

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭

With the olympics kicking off this week, was just wondering if anyone has seen anyone that is competing in the olympics this year that they are tipping for stardom in mma. For me it would have to be ivos dos santos with his background in judo and jordan burroughs with wrestling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Bilyal Makhov from Russia looks like a pure savage, I have watched him a couple of times and at times he looks unstoppable, I'll be having a bet on him to win the gold. It's really impossible to predict who will have success in mma though as it involves so much more than wrestling/judo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Bilyal Makhov from Russia looks like a pure savage, I have watched him a couple of times and at times he looks unstoppable, I'll be having a bet on him to win the gold. It's really impossible to predict who will have success in mma though as it involves so much more than wrestling/judo etc.
    Unless you're a women

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Your man Teddy Riner looks a beast but says his mum won't let him fight in MMA!

He makes a million a year from Judo though so he's not too bothered I guess.

6"8!

119_404391686283858_1380186834_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Mellor wrote: »
    Unless you're a women
    Totally yeah

Sarak-Kaufman-vs-Alexis-Davis.jpg

I think you missed my point completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

After you made it so articulately and clearly? Never

I was on my phone so was trying to be brief. Still more useful than being sarcastic.

My point was that while men's judo and/or wrestling at the Olympics don't necessarily mean a whole lot in the world of MMA due the top guys being so well rounded. In the women's divisions this is the area where they are weakest, prob due to the lack of collegiate women's wrestling etc.

Take Rousey, bronze at the Olympics, so v.good, but not the best. But has dominated MMA as she uses her skills to dictate where the fight takes place. I'd be surprised if more of the female wrestlers and judoka didn't make the switch to MMA after London. The divisions are so shallow that an olympic medal plus a few wins could be a quick path to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Mellor wrote: »
    I was on my phone so was trying to be brief. Still more useful than being sarcastic.

My point was that while men's judo and/or wrestling at the Olympics don't necessarily mean a whole lot in the world of MMA due the top guys being so well rounded.

Daniel Cormier and others would beg to differ on that point, I think.

Richy06 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it does tbh? He's one of how many US athlete that have been to the olympics.
    I said that it doesn't "necessarily" mean a whole lot. Not that no Olympian will ever succeed in MMA. Dan Henderson was an olympic athlete for example.

I read an piece the other day that tipped Kayla Harrison to transition from Judo. and even suggested our own Katie Taylor could be well in the cage.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys, if you think an Olympic wrestler can't reach the summit of combat sports then you're forgetting about Kurt Angle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Richy06 wrote: »

Cormier's Olympic team mate from 2008 Steve Mocco is expected to go into mma this year after failing to qualify for the Olympics. Bellator champ Ben Askren was also on that team.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/12/3077912/steve-mocco-ncaa-olympic-wrestling-mma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Does anyone know if the Judo events are going to be televised? I cant find anything on my TV guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Judo events are going to be televised? I cant find anything on my TV guide.

I think that if you press the red button while watching BBC1 you get a choice of what event to watch.

Here's a website for streaming if that doesn't work:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=judo/day=july-28/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Jonah42 wrote: »
    I think that if you press the red button while watching BBC1 you get a choice of what event to watch.

Here's a website for streaming if that doesn't work:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/sport=judo/day=july-28/index.html

Thanks Jonah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Bilyal Makhov just competed in 125kg freestyle in Rio, lost 3-1 in his qualification match so went out.
    he signed to the UFC a year or 2 ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

https://youtu.be/Uuuo3ET8Jfc

Heres some video of him (supposedly) starting mma training

Advertisement