Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of thanks.

Options
  • 24-07-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I don't normally pop into this forum so please excuse my sneaking in. Actually I was told to come here several times by several people. :D

Anyway I just read the stories in your competition number 9.

Absolutely wonderful stuff, all 14 were great to read and I think the writers deserve a pat on the back. (Not with a shovel from a parallel universe mind you :pac:

I am told to post some of my stuff in here but I am not sure I should, yours is so much better, and mine are just true stories about me anyway, not very interesting to you folks. Besides I have already posted them in boards and I am not a spammer. (Don't want to upset dear Old Goat :pac: his ban hammer is very hard on the head :pac: )

Can I ask when you do these competitions? and where I can find the rules for entering?

I may not be good myself but I do like a good story.

Once again thank you for a great morning of reading entertainment. Loved it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rubecula wrote: »
    Don't want to upset dear Old Goat
    Proper order.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Hmmm you think I should have left out the "dear" bit and just put "expensive?"

Nice to see you in here OG I didn't know you frequented this forum. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you use the advanced search for threads with 'competition' in the title in the Creative Writing forum, started by pickarooney you should see the discussion/rules threads and the stories threads for each competition.

They're on every few months or whenever someone has a good idea for one. The next one will probably be in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice to see you in here OG I didn't know you frequented this forum. :)

OG's real name is OmniGoat. He is in all forums at once.

If you use the advanced search for threads with 'competition' in the title in the Creative Writing forum, started by pickarooney you should see the discussion/rules threads and the stories threads for each competition.

They're on every few months or whenever someone has a good idea for one. The next one will probably be in September.

Thank you for that info, I will be keeping my eyes (and my ideas ) open. I quite fancy having a go if I can get into a creative mood.
    Mr E wrote: »
    OG's real name is OmniGoat. He is in all forums at once.

I am beginning to learn that. He knows when I am up to my tricks before I do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rube! About flippin' time too!

Thanks Jellybaby (((hugs))) I have to learn about the forum before I post any of my stories. To be honest I am not sure they are good enough after what I have seen in here.

Thanks though for dragging me screaming and kicking into the forum. (I think I lost a slipper on the way though any chance you can help me find it? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's probably with those odd socks of mine! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i would like to do the next one but i have exams on 27th S and 2nd O, so let's have it late august/early sept or later oct :pac:

You can run it without me, I guess.

Or... or we do a live VOAT in a pub in Dublin where you're given a subject and you make up a story on the spot, in a seanchai styleee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ah no, it wouldn't be the same
    sept will be ok sure, i can always quick-write one sometime :pac:

i still want a dublin beers when you're over though :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Also, if you want a quick fix OP, I'm waiting for a challenger in The Arena. (See pickarooney's sig for a link)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi Rubecula,

Opportunity Knocks for great craic on this Forum! No crying in your beer about what could have been . . . not a Swan(sea) Song . . . but maybe a EuroVision winner . . . a series of hop[kin]s onto the train at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch . . . or is it put out your thumb to hitch-hike onto that train to NewWorldVisions?

I too, throughly enjoyed the 14 stories in that contest, but I would love to read one of yours. And does it always have to be a contest, or could we create an ever building whirlpool of a vortex . . . building on each others stories so we all end up winning . . . and all get off at The Resturant At The End Of The Universe?

. . . and all lift a beer to celebrate?

It seems you have a mini-following already . . .

. . .

. . .

. . . . . .

Olympique Marseille logo
    http://www.footballpictures.net/data/media/422/olympique_de_marseille_logo.png
    motto: Straight to the point

Gulp . . . am I off to see Gordon again? Please don't. I really didn't like it there. I'll give him his hat back. Please let me stay. I'll be good! Just because I'm old doesn't mean I've lost it. I loved my trips to Wales, especially Chester, and Llandudno, and Aberystwyth, and . . .

Hi Rubecula,

Opportunity Knocks for great craic on this Forum! No crying in your beer about what could have been . . . not a Swan(sea) Song . . . but maybe a EuroVision winner . . . a series of hop[kin]s onto the train at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch . . . or is it put out your thumb to hitch-hike onto that train to NewWorldVisions?

I too, throughly enjoyed the 14 stories in that contest, but I would love to read one of yours. And does it always have to be a contest, or could we create an ever building whirlpool of a vortex . . . building on each others stories so we all end up winning . . . and all get off at The Resturant At The End Of The Universe?

. . . and all lift a beer to celebrate?

It seems you have a mini-following already . . .

I think folks are not so much following me as leading me to be fair. I posted up some instances that have occured in my life in another forum. The folks there enjoyed it. (Not so sure about OldGoat, but as a mod he doesn't let much out of the bag) Anyway it was thanks to nice people like Jellybaby that I was led here. (Probably amidst tears of laughter at my minor accidents.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Gulp . . . am I off to see Gordon again? Please don't. I really didn't like it there. I'll give him his hat back. Please let me stay. I'll be good! Just because I'm old doesn't mean I've lost it. I loved my trips to Wales, especially Chester, and Llandudno, and Aberystwyth, and . . .

Am I the only one who doesn't understand a single one of your posts?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Rubecula, if it's any help, I was ridiculously nervous about writing to a set synopsis and posting my writing online. It was a really good experience, though. I sort of wish we had a VOAT every couple of weeks, just to kick me into writing gear. ;) Uh, just kidding, pickarooney!
    Or... or we do a live VOAT in a pub in Dublin where you're given a subject and you make up a story on the spot, in a seanchai styleee.

Gah. I still have nightmares about the timed writing sprints we did at the NaNo meet-ups last year. My brain turned to mush: "Um, and then some stuff happens?"

I think folks are not so much following me as leading me to be fair. I posted up some instances that have occured in my life in another forum. The folks there enjoyed it. (Not so sure about OldGoat, but as a mod he doesn't let much out of the bag) Anyway it was thanks to nice people like Jellybaby that I was led here. (Probably amidst tears of laughter at my minor accidents.)

On a helical track that looks like a circular track, it's tough to know who is leading and who is following . . .
    Dean09 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand a single one of your posts?? :confused:

Sorry about that, Dean09. I do pack in a little explanation about my perceived ratty riting style elsewhere on boards.ie. Maybe you should read the Lug Nutz (originally Mound Of Hostages) story on another thread. A bit double jointed (or is it disjointed?) at the moment, but it is shaping up to be a metaphorical 7 days of writing . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Dean09 wrote: »

Nope

Advertisement