Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Check-In

Options
  • 24-07-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I just booked a hotel in Dublin for 2 nights using a friend's credit card. However, it says i must present photo I.D on check-in. Is there any way I could get around this? If I contacted the hotel would it be possible to sort something else out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

just use a driving license or passport,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hairyfairy

Does it have to be my friend's passport as I used her credit card to book it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Just bring a print out of your booking,i have never being asked for photo id ever booking into a hotel in ireland, regardless if it was booked with my credit card or someone eles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hairyfairy wrote: »
    I just booked a hotel in Dublin for 2 nights using a friend's credit card. However, it says i must present photo I.D on check-in. Is there any way I could get around this? If I contacted the hotel would it be possible to sort something else out?

Just contact the hotel as some would vary with procedures but ensure you have your confirmation details for c/in. Ordinarily though, no photo ID would be asked on c/in, sometimes a passport would be asked for for international visitors. It doesn't normally matter if you used your friends' cc to secure the booking provided you are using your own method of payment for your stay eg: cash :)

Very few hotels would allow you to use a friends cc to pay the total unless they phoned the hotel and either prepaid or verified the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Sounds a bit HOSTELy to me, sure they aren't selling you to be tortured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hairyfairy

I used Booking.com to book the room so i had to pay the total online :/ Haha, hopefully there will be no torture involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The credit card you used to book the hotel doesn't have to be in the same name as the person the booking is for ...you didn't give the same details, did you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the room is paid for by the other credit card, they may need another way of covering themselves for damage, mini-bar/other expenses you might run up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnnieUncanny

A lot of hotels ask for this when you check-in, and the I.D. shown should match the guest(s) intended to stay at the hotel. Most of the time they also ask you if you can register your card details in case of any minibar/restaurant costs or in case of damage to property caused by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Must have stayed in 50 different hotels around Ireland in the past 10 years. Never once been asked for ID. Most ask for an imprint of your credit card. If you don't have a card I think the usual procedure would be to pay a deposit, perhaps the cost of the first night.

At the end of the day the hotel doesn't care who stays in their hotel as long as they get paid. They certainly won't turn away any paying customer because they don't have ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely when booking you got the options to enter name of guest and then later to enter payment details. The payment details could be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I'm surprised booking.com took full payment, I've booked with them 4 times and they've only secured the credit amount on the card but I had to pay the hotel in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think it depends on the hotel. I've had the same experience with Hotels.com

Advertisement