Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switch Over Questions

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have two questions that I just want ask in regards to the Digital Switch Over. I live in Monaghan and saorview&freeview reception can at times be a bit patchy. Come the Digital Switch Over will saorview and freeview broadcasts become a bit more stronger in regards to signal strength&quality?

I have a freeview Hd tv that gets the saorview+freeview and my second question is will I get BBCHD, BBC1HD, ITVHD, Ch4HD after the switchover?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seems to be a few border area threads around here these days.

1. A Freeview HD box should pick up Saorview and Freeview both, check the specific model in here (meaning all the numbers and letters if a Technika/Tesco box) to make sure you don't lose one service if it finds the other first, the menu systems and software can vary a lot.

2. Some transmitters are not on full power, notably Brougher Mountain. Some people may get a relay such as Lisnaskea not Brougher itself. The choice of channels from a relay will not be as good as that from a full transmitter such as Brougher....after switchover.

3. Truskmore and Clermont have reported issues over the last few weeks which would result in 'patchy' Saorview coverage if they are the ones you use.

Notes on UK changeover ( starts in 2 months/late september) here http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/tools__and__resources/almanac/installer_newsletters_2009_pdfs/Northern_Ireland_12MO_Final.pdf

While I would get a Freeview HD unit (one recommended around here) sooner than that I have stated elsewhere that I am disinclined to recommend any aerial work in case reception comes good all by itself some time in October. :) You may have a model that is problematic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I live in Monaghan and saorview&freeview reception can at times be a bit patchy. Come the Digital Switch Over will saorview and freeview broadcasts become a bit more stronger in regards to signal strength&quality?

First of all, do you have a decent outdoor aerial installation?

The Freeview transmission power will increase considerably after switchover for most channels, the exception being the commercial multiplexes (muxes) from Brougher Mtn., which get a relatively small boost. The preferred & most widely used NI transmitter, certainly in the northern part of co. Monaghan is Divis (Belfast).
    I have a freeview Hd tv that gets the saorview+freeview and my second question is will I get BBCHD, BBC1HD, ITVHD, Ch4HD after the switchover?
    Yes, Freeview HD will only come on stream at switchover & the current HD channels are on a PSB mux, so will be full power from the main sites as well as being on all the relays, though I've never seen a relay used for UK reception anywhere in Monaghan.

Saorview is another matter: if you can post the channel nos. of the analogue Irish channels you receive, it would give a more certain idea of which transmitter you're set up to receive from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    . . . I have stated elsewhere that I am disinclined to recommend any aerial work in case reception comes good all by itself some time in October.

The same advice has been given by practically everyone that replies to recent threads dealing with the border area. In fact, I've never at any stage advised the fitment of anything more then is necessary for good analogue reception & if you're receiving from Divis, this usually delivers perfectly reliable Freeview. Otherwise wait for switchover or use satellite.

We'll see how Saorview 'comes good all by itself' for those who only have a VHF aerial for Monaghan RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    We'll see how Saorview 'comes good all by itself' for those who only have a VHF aerial for Monaghan RTE.

You know it might if you live in Aghabog!

Advertisement