Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking fooked since switch to Windows 7

Options
  • 23-07-2012 9:52pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys I recently upgraded to windows 7 from a long time on XP. On XP I would simply share folders on the network, and other computers connected to the network/workgroup to stream movie files etc. I have a Macbook in my bedroom, and a WDTV media player connected to my tv. It was always very simple on xp but since I upgraded to Windows 7, I cannot stream any files on either the Mac or the WDTV.

I asked the guys on the mac forum and changing lots of things does noting. Considering I cannot get it to work on the wdtv either I'm assuming its the Windows 7 settings.

Can anyone advise how I can try to fix this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Have you enabled file and print sharing in Control Panel - Network and sharing Center??
    That should get you going.
    When you share a folder make sure you share it with everyone.

Try adding a password to your user account. Otherwise Windows won't know if the client that's trying to connect should have full access or read only access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Try adding a password to your user account.

Or turn off password protected sharing...

ozjM9.jpg

This is located in Advanced Sharing Settings toward the bottom of the list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Torqay wrote: »
    Or turn off password protected sharing...
    not recommended

not only is there the security worries there is the aspect that historically speaking it's usually been easier to get sharing working with a password odd though that sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There was a bit of a shift in how Windows handled home networking in the move to Vista and 7. Honestly your real best friend there is to consider the whole network scrapped and look at all your settings from the ground up, starting with the name of the Homegroup and the Computer Names themselves. As I recall that was the biggest problem for me, that the default name of the homegroup had been altered slightly from one OS to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    As I recall that was the biggest problem for me, that the default name of the homegroup had been altered slightly from one OS to the other.

don't forget you can also connect by IP address - this rules out some naming issues.

\\192.168.0.10\sharename

Overheal wrote: »
    There was a bit of a shift in how Windows handled home networking in the move to Vista and 7. Honestly your real best friend there is to consider the whole network scrapped and look at all your settings from the ground up, starting with the name of the Homegroup and the Computer Names themselves. As I recall that was the biggest problem for me, that the default name of the homegroup had been altered slightly from one OS to the other.

Homegroup is a Win7 feature. The name couldn't have changed because Vista didn't have it at all.

You're thinking of Workgroup. And the default name (WORKGROUP) didn't change at all between XP, Vista and Win7.

If you're not sharing with other Win7 machines (and the OP isn't) you should ignore Homegroup entirely. If you've joined/created one then leave it.

Advertisement