Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Mature Student Acces Program

Options
  • 23-07-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I recently put in my application for the UCD MSAP and have an interview in August. I haven't been in school in 1988 and am terrified of going back to school. Is the program extremely hard or, with some tutoring, is it reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I know a lot of mature students who came through the access program and they have all said it was great. A few told me if they hadn't done the access they'd have been overwhelmed by full time uni. They have told me they found it difficult, but that the staff were really good and gave plenty of direction. I've noticed that the people that did access have all stayed in touch, meet frequently and continue to support each other during the year.

It's great that you have applied and good luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

Thanks for the input Maldesu. I'm already shortlisted for DIT but I really want UCD as they have a much better business, economics, school.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you haven't been in school in so long it should be good for you. My boyfriend has applied for it too & it sounds really good & I've heard good feedback from people about it. It'll be manageable once you put the work in, if you show up to class, do your assignments and study then you'll be fine! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I don't know if you're going for the arts or science access course.

The interview felt more a formality than a proper interview just checking where you are, what you want to do etc no bother. I think for both access courses you can get 50 percent off fees if you have a medical card.

As far as content and how hard it is i wouldn't worry too much. I did history and politics as my 2 modules. I had Irial Glynn for history who was an exceptional lecturer and the content was easy to follow and well presented. The practical aspect of essay writing was great because he would respond to drafts giving advice as to what to tighten up and why.

The politics was essentially the same but the classes meandered and were not as focused as the history. The study skills module was a great help, different for different folk really, i found it 60 percent great 40 percent waffle/didn't apply to my studying style.

If you go in, allocate time to study you won't have a problem passing the course and getting a place in UCD. The whole adult education centre/people are really great. I would recommend the course to anyone.

If you've any questions or anything drop me a pm

Just checked your post wanting to do business, economics so yeah arts course i imagine?

Ronana, I am applying to UCD in the Arts so I can study Economics. I have applied, and been shortlisted, to DIT for the Access Course so I can study Economics and Finance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP, the access course is suited specifically to students like you, who have been out of education a long time as it is designed to ease you back into study, build up your confidence and teach you the skills required to be successful in college.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it, as long as you stick to the work you will be fine. You do need to demonstrate an ability to complete assignments and readings and stuff, but basically if you're committed to your study you will fly through it. I suppose it just filters out people who aren't going to push themselves.

Regarding your course choice, I am an Economics student in UCD and just started last year. The course it's self is definitely challenging, but extremely interesting.

Again, 90% of it is just attending lectures and putting in the time in the library to get a handle on things.

Personally I found the most difficult part to be the Quantitative Economics side of things, which is 1 module in 1st year and 2 in 2nd year. Even if you're not very mathematically orientated, the stuff is not rocket science, but to be honest I felt the way it was taught in first year was quite bad, but there is a student support centre where you can get free help with the maths, also a dedicated Economics maths support centre, and I actually got a couple of private tutor sessions with a contact I got through the maths centre and got an A in my final after failing a mid-term (25%!!!) so it just goes to show that as long as you work and get help when you need it, you'll be fine.

Just don't leave it to the last minute like I did. I was about 2 weeks away from the exam knowing nothing and sure of a fail until I got help.

Best of luck with it though and don't be daunted by college or worry, there's no geniuses in there! Everyone can do it!

I have my interview for UCD on August 9th. I hope it goes well. I also just got accepted for the CareerStart programme taught at the Irish Financial Service Center that I found on Springboard. Not too sure about that one but it beats sitting at home doing ****all.

ebjarrell wrote: »
    I have my interview for UCD on August 9th. I hope it goes well. I also just got accepted for the CareerStart programme taught at the Irish Financial Service Center that I found on Springboard. Not too sure about that one but it beats sitting at home doing ****all.

Can I ask when you applied & when you heard your interview date? I'm sure it will go well for you, best of luck!

I applied to UCD just a few weeks ago and only got the interview date a few days ago. I applied and interviewed with DIT back in May and found out I was shortlisted a few weeks ago.

Yaaaayyyyyyy, I found out today I was accepted into the access course at DIT. I still have my interview next week for UCD. If offered a spot at UCD too, which should I do? Or should I just accept DIT's offer and forget UCD? I'm going for finance and economics and UCD is rated much higher than DIT.

• Advertisement

Well if you would prefer UCD at least go to the interview & see how you get on.

Advertisement