Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Supplement

Options
  • 23-07-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I will like to know how long it take to process Rent Supplement? I will be finding it difficult to pay my rents now as my wife only work part time as i lost my job recently. I don't know what to tell my landlord

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Quite a bit of paperwork involved if you are to be successful. Even with all paperwork done correctly and handed in, you could be waiting around the 2 week mark and upwards of that. I know some people who were left waiting for months.

It's also only paid in arrears so if you get accepted you would either have to keep the rent up yourself on time or the LL will have to accept it's paid a month in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnkenn

I received a letter from the Rent Supplement office asking me to produce more documents which i have done and will be sending it out by post soon,but they asked me to re-negotiate my rent with my landlord from 900Euro for 2 beds to 875Euro.My fear is that i can not do that now until my contract expired in 3 months time. Will that affect my application? What criteria do they use to get someone accepted for rent Allowance

if you cannot get your landlord to lower the rent then you will not receive RA. The total rent payable to the LL must meet the county limit or under. What some people have done and still do is to get the LL to sign saying it's at the limit and then pay the extra themselves out of their own pocket. For the sake of €25 I would negotiate with your LL, if you are a good tenant he should be willing to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnkenn

Thanks Yawns...I don't mind to be paying the 25E myself. Do i need to inform RA that it's at the limit now or must i get my LL to give me a letter to indicate that?

Depends on who you are dealing with. Some CWO's will just give you a new RA form to be filled in and then you write the rent amount. Others wants to see a lease with the new amount on it so they have a copy of it themselves.

Simple cross out old amount and place new amount beside it and give a copy to the deciding officer. If you can meet up with LL or his agent and sign your name and date next to it, then better. However bear in mind that rent allowance generally gets a deduction at budget time and I can see this year being the same with a big cut. If you think the LL won;t budge over €25 it will be a bigger gap next year most likely and he would be more likely to refuse. You could end up paying more out of pocket or have to move out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement