Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Advice

Options
  • 23-07-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for advice around new bikes. I've been given the all clear by the other half to buy myself a nice new bike at the end of the season, probably going to be the last bike I buy for a while so she doesn't mind me spending a lot.

Over the last few months have been looking at bikes and had it narrowed down to either the new canyon speedmax evo or a BMC timemachine Tm01.

But doubts have started to creep in over spending this much on a bike and if I even need a bike that good given my level. Have been thinking instead about buying a exocet 2 and a new road bike to replace my Lapierre Audacio 200.

The main cycling I do is training for triathlons and don't use the road bike a whole lot.

Just wondering what people think? Better off buying two decent level bikes? or having one 'superbike' and then an entry level bike?

Hopefully won't get lots of slowtwitch answers of 'get the bike that fits best' and 'spend the money on coaching!'
    Thanks for your help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

joey100 wrote: »
    But doubts have started to creep in over spending this much on a bike and if I even need a bike that good given my level.

Don't end up like me with auld lads on road bikes going past me in the triathlon saying nice bike with a smirk on their faces. If you are going to buy a super bike make sure you are a super rider or its a waste

Thankfully I havent had a mountain bike going by me............yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey,

Looking for advice around new bikes. I've been given the all clear by the other half to buy myself a nice new bike at the end of the season, probably going to be the last bike I buy for a while so she doesn't mind me spending a lot.

Over the last few months have been looking at bikes and had it narrowed down to either the new canyon speedmax evo or a BMC timemachine Tm01.

But doubts have started to creep in over spending this much on a bike and if I even need a bike that good given my level. Have been thinking instead about buying a exocet 2 and a new road bike to replace my Lapierre Audacio 200.

The main cycling I do is training for triathlons and don't use the road bike a whole lot.

Just wondering what people think? Better off buying two decent level bikes? or having one 'superbike' and then an entry level bike?

Hopefully won't get lots of slowtwitch answers of 'get the bike that fits best' and 'spend the money on coaching!'
    Thanks for your help,

I'd go for the Exocet and the new road bike. I've got (borrowed for now) a decent tri bike and now wish I had a better road bike too. There are enough Planet X bikes around to suggest that it wouln't be holding you back. I think BetterthanHoyte is racing one and he seems pretty fast!

Agree with Catweazle too. Pretty humbling having people going past you when you're on a decent bike. It's all about the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to confuse matters but if you have a road bike already I dont see the point in another one. I do 99% of my work on the tt bike and just swap wheels for race day. Something rubs me the wrong way with planet x and seems bth has had or might still be having issues. It is best if you could test ride a few and see how you feel. Do you have access to many friends' machines? And sorry again but at the end of the day it is 90% about the engine but that said theres a lot to be said about being happy and even slightly show-off if you do get a nice machine you are totally happy with as it can help get you out more. I know it might sound awful but I love my pre-race day short bike with the race kit on, I always feel like I could push myself harder when fully setup. I think the novelty of being in race setup helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to confuse matters but if you have a road bike already I dont see the point in another one. I do 99% of my work on the tt bike and just swap wheels for race day. Something rubs me the wrong way with planet x and seems bth has had or might still be having issues. It is best if you could test ride a few and see how you feel. Do you have access to many friends' machines? And sorry again but at the end of the day it is 90% about the engine but that said theres a lot to be said about being happy and even slightly show-off if you do get a nice machine you are totally happy with as it can help get you out more. I know it might sound awful but I love my pre-race day short bike with the race kit on, I always feel like I could push myself harder when fully setup. I think the novelty of being in race setup helps a bit.

Sorry, another off topic from me this morning :o Bambaata you said that you do 99% of work on your TT, does this include during the winter? On the road and turbo all winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

catweazle wrote: »
    Don't end up like me with auld lads on road bikes going past me in the triathlon saying nice bike with a smirk on their faces. If you are going to buy a super bike make sure you are a super rider or its a waste

Thankfully I havent had a mountain bike going by me............yet! :)

Just makes you pass them on the run to thank them no? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Considering the same two bikes although on looks alone the canyon might nudge it for me. When it becomes available is another matter though.

If you're happy that your road bike will do you for another few years then by all means get your dream TT machine otherwise two decent bikes prob makes more sense.

There was nothing wrong with my old road bike but my new one is much smoother and less buzzy so long spins are more enjoyable than previously hence enjoy training all the more.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Advertisement