Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing to the UK

Options
  • 23-07-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All, hoping someone out there can help. I am moving to the UK and want to bring my ROI registered car with me. Really confused over process - So hoping someone out there can offer advice?? Thanks in Advance!:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you spoken to the DVLA?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clairebear1984

I haven't actually - i've been on the website so probably should give them a call. I'm just trying to weigh up the costs - tax/mot/insurance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i would sell before i leave and buy when I get there as

UK prices tend to be a bit lower
    UK cars are usually better maintained
    Uk cars are generally better specced

and of course it saves all the hastle of getting the car examined and re-registered (it doesnt cost very much on the other hand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Actually, Corktina makes a very good point. Unless you need to take the car over, it'll be far less hassle, I think. And cheaper!! :D

I did it the other way round. But then I knew the car's history! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 clairebear1984

Ya I had considered that option, but don't think my car will get a whole lot and extra cash is pretty slim so importing seems like the best option i think! Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi All, hoping someone out there can help. I am moving to the UK and want to bring my ROI registered car with me. Really confused over process - So hoping someone out there can offer advice?? Thanks in Advance!:D

You should be able to reregister the car in about a week, costs about 70, assuming it's got type approval. Then you should be able to get insurance on it.

If you don't want to reregister the car you may find it hard to get insured.

Also if there's more than three month's tax left you can get a refund if exported I believe.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

corktina wrote: »
    i would sell before i leave and buy when I get there as

UK prices tend to be a bit lower
    UK cars are usually better maintained
    Uk cars are generally better specced

and of course it saves all the hastle of getting the car examined and re-registered (it doesnt cost very much on the other hand)

Depends on the car, tbh. The strength of Sterling atmo means bringing your car with you is now a real option - that and the dearth of buyers here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Insurance might cost you a fortune. The reg/mot/tax process is fairly straight forward and reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

galwaytt wrote: »
    Depends on the car, tbh. The strength of Sterling atmo means bringing your car with you is now a real option - that and the dearth of buyers here.

i sold a car yesterday....

• Advertisement
Advertisement