Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London after the Olympic Games, looking to meet fellow Irish while there

Options
  • 22-07-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,

First off new to boards.ie I'm a 26 yr old Irish male, a friend recommended it as he knows i'm currently saving and applying for work like a mother ... lol, need to get out of Dublin as im sure many of you know its impossible to get work here, Ive had previous experience working in Manchester and got quiet lonley there, only made friends with housemates and work mates but its good to have your own social circle over there, I'm hoping to get in touch with irish already over there, I'm pretty much sorted with getting accomodation and things like that as spareroom.co.uk is the best site for all that, just looking to make some friends so I can hang out with at weekends and things like that, would appriciate any advice anyone has :D also are there any Man united clubs in London? I heard there was but not so sure so yeah if your a man u fan to all the better :D

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

If you are moving to the London this is such a good idea, i am sure you will find some Irish fellows there in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mglegacy12

that's not really a usefull comment im asking for advice not stating the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

OP, the only advice I can give is to stay connected to this forum, as we often meet up for beers, social events (some here already) and Im sure there are a few folks who enjoy watching the footie! Your best bet is to come along to one of the meet ups and go from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

mglegacy12 wrote: »
    need to get out of Dublin as im sure many of you know its impossible to get work here
    That really depends on what it is you do - I know several people in different professions who have a regular supply of contract work from Dublin. I'm not pointing this out for the sake of it - there's no guarantee that you'll find work easier to come by in London than you did in Dublin. It depends very much on the nature of the work you're looking for.
    ...I'm hoping to get in touch with irish already over there...
    The London non-Irish are generally pretty friendly too you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I would recommend Neasden and Kilburn, they still have a good Irish community, though in my opinion it is a lot less than it used to be.

Both of them used to have a lot of Irish pubs there, now only a handful survive (not that I'm suggesting that is your only interest in going to London)

Not to put a downer on things, its more or less the same with the jobs as it is in Dublin, the frigging irritation of a few Euro countries (namely Spain and Greece) are not helping matters to be honest

• Advertisement

I'm looking for admin / office assistant work, from the job sites ive been on there seems to be alot of opprotunities in that field, i reckon id be best going to agencies and that in person rather then via email i found in the past its easier to get work with them when your there and ready to go so i may have to be prepared for a few weeks without a job so that is why im saving for a few months rent and spends, also don't get me wrong im not just going there to meet up with other irish i have a lot of English friends from Manhcester i love the English there great fun, im just looking at the new adventure new city clean break all that and sure if it doesnt work out its a few weeks in London its a big dream of mine to get work there always wanted to do it been there a few times and suits my personality and always wanted to go back i have family there to which helps alot thanks for the advice so far :D

I'm looking for admin / office assistant work...
    Ok, well you should be able to get temp work easy enough to get you started, but you could end up working anywhere in a very wide area. Also, the absolute most important thing to bear in mind about moving to London is that it's a bloody expensive place to live. Unfortunately, an office assistant role is unlikely to pay terribly well, so the obvious question is, does it absolutely have to be London that you move to? There are cheaper alternatives.
    ...also don't get me wrong im not just going there to meet up with other irish...
    I wasn't being serious!

I have been working out prices in different areas like zone 3/4 and will be a lot cheaper and also will be staying in a shared house no way in hell would i be able to afford a flat or anything like that maybe if i won euro millions lol but its something ive wanted to try for a few months nothing ventured nothing gained as they say ive worked in Manchester and that but the work especially office work seems to be more in the capital then anywhere else so right now seems to be the best if i went to the likes of canada or australlia id get homesick very quick least with only being an hour away on the plane its not so bad working in England

I have been working out prices in different areas like zone 3/4 and will be a lot cheaper and also will be staying in a shared house...
    Don’t forget to factor in transport costs.

I’m not trying to be off-putting by the way. I’ve just encountered an awful lot of people who grossly underestimate the cost of living in London while simultaneously overestimating their earning potential. There are several examples on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

That's fair enough if you are not just meeting up with the other Irish, London is a good multi-cultural city, but like someone has said, it's darn expensive to live in, obviously the more central you are, the more expensive. But not in certain suburbs like Hampstead (well known for the rich and famous), you will know by the look of certain house...the bigger they are, the more expense you have to shell out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Best advice I can give you is not to focus too much on being with Irish people or doing Irish things. If you're going to be here in London, enjoy all that London has to offer. You're going to pigeonhole your interests if you focus too much on hanging out with Irish people. The boards.ie beers every few weeks is a good way to meet up with Irish people every so often, but I would definitely emphasize to make friends with all kinds of people.

philologos wrote: »
    OP: Best advice I can give you is not to focus too much on being with Irish people or doing Irish things. If you're going to be here in London, enjoy all that London has to offer. You're going to pigeonhole your interests if you focus too much on hanging out with Irish people.
    Besides, there are so many Irish people in London that there really is absolutely no need to make a concerted effort to seek them out.

I'm going to say this again I'm merley just asking for advice and maybe get to know someone over there ive said i'm going to explore london and not just stick with my own crew, if people read things it helps im just looking for peoples advice who have already gone over or who are in the process of going over would be nice to meet up with someone who is doing the same or has already done it so that i can have someone familiar to go out with and things like that i'm not purposly going to london just to stick with Irish people it really does help when people read things but thanks for all the advice so far I know what im getting into with prices and expenses and all that im just asking fellow irish who are there or who are going on there experiences of London

Advertisement